Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:32 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Exclamation PLEASE HELP! SMART Hard drive detects imminent failure

I have a Compaq Presario laptop and it recently went through a diagnostics test on the HP website and came back with this... SMART Hard drive detects imminent failure. What does that mean? I chatted with an online technical support person and she said that I need to replace the hard drive and that it could crash at any time. I have an external hard drive with all my things saved on it, but I don't have the recovery cd's that came with the computer because I got this laptop as a gift for Christmas from my fiance and he never gave me anything. I recently reformatted my computer like 2 days ago! I'm really scared about the price of a new hard drive and what I'll have to do. Should I worry about this and is there any help anyone on here could tell me about? I would greatly appreciate the help! Thanks!

Jackie
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:35 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Forgot...but if it helps my OS is Windows XP (Home Edition) and was purchased like 2 or 3 years ago.
Old March 14th, 2008, 03:40 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
HDD;s do not cost that much, just replacing them may be abit hard. Maybe go in a ask at a PC shop how much they would charge to have it replaced, Just to get an idea how much it would be if they did it. Because if you don't know what you are doing, You may make things worse when exposing the insides of a laptop.