Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Access 2003 error: You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time...

I just performed a clean install on one of our users machines and set everything back up the way it was before on the old machine.

On our server, we have an access database that three or four people use, and all of these people have a shortcut icon to this database where the target points to the actual file on the server.

On the machine that I reloaded, we now get this error message when trying to open this database through the shortcut:

Quote:
"You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later."
I've googled this message and found THIS MICROSOFT SITE about the error, but I really don't understand what it's saying.

The only way that I've found that I can get around this error and let this user continue with their work is to copy the database from the server, over to their local machine and let them work in it that way. We have an ODBC Data Source SQL Server set up where the access font end pulls the data from.

Everyone else's machine has a shortcut link to the access front end on their machine and it works fine, but this other user, it will not.

I've discovered that when I tried to use a shortcut to access database on this users machine, it would let him use it, but only if none of our other users were already using the database, but if one of the other users were already working in it, then the error message came up.

Anyone know what's going on?
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:33 PM

Fixed
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

What was the fix?
Old October 20th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Sorry, I guess it would be polite to post the fix wouldn't it? :-)

It was actually a program called "Avery Wizard" that the user of this machine installed on his own. I don't know exactly what the problem was except that Avery attaches itself to other programs such as Access, Word, Outlook, etc and from what I understand about it, gives you an easy way to create/print labels and other things right from the information in the program (word, excel, outlook). That's all I know about it.

Performed an uninstall of Avery Wizard and all was good.

It was just weird to me that basically what was happening, when someone was using this Access database which is located on the server, the user in question couldn't open the database on his machine, kinda like he was locked out because someone was already in. (this shouldn't have been the case and wasn't the case beforehand nor was the case for the other three or four people using the database) but for whatever reason that Avery Wizard wasn't giving him access to the database when one of the other users was logged in at the same time. If no one else was logged in, everything was fine, but very seldom is no one else logged in.

Anyway, maybe that will help someone down the road.
Old October 21st, 2006, 11:43 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Thanks for the update