Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Web Development & Graphic Design

Notices

Web Development & Graphic Design Problem Solving for Graphic Design, PHP, ASP, Perl, MySQL, SQL, XML, HTML issues

Topic Tools
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM

how to make an online store

Hi i have an idea for an online store, the problem is i'm not very good at computers. Is there an easy way to create a store? i was thinking about e bay but i want to go further than that. Do i need to pay a web designer?
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:25 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If you want a custom,personal appearance,a web designer would
be the way to go.
Many web hosting companies offer ready to go ecommerce web
sites with basic,built in web design software,so you can make
easy changes to the sites look.
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

There are many scripts and applications that will let you add an online store to your site.

e.g.
Free for PHP
http://www.oscommerce.com/

Small price for ASP
http://www.pagedowntech.com/products/pdadmin.asp

PERL (.CGI)
http://www.actinic.co.uk/

There are also some where you can create the shop on your PC then upload the full thing.
http://www.online-store.co.uk/
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM

For someone who is not very good at computers, I would definitely not recommend trying to setup your own e-commerce site. Not only do you have to worry about the technical side of things - web hosting, site design, catalogs and shopping carts, server-side scripting, security, and payment systems; you also have to handle the business side of things - registering your business, managing tax, obtaining a merchant account, integrating your merchant account with your web-based payment system, etc.

See also this thread.
Old August 13th, 2006, 06:02 PM

sounds like a lot of work, so probably i should pay somebody to do this? would i be able to mantain an e-commerce site myself if somebody else got it up and running for me?
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:
so probably i should pay somebody to do this?
Most definitely yes.
Quote:
would i be able to mantain an e-commerce site myself if somebody else got it up and running for me?
Probably not. Depending on what scripting language the site you want is written in (Java, PHP, ASP), you'd have to learn it in order to be able to modify it. Though things like adding/removing/modifying products, changing prices, adding special offers etc would probably be done using a simple interface, if the site developer/webmaster is worth their salt. Altering the layout or colour schemes would probably be done with CSS templates, but again that's something you'd have to learn to be able to do if you wanted to change it.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:45 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
first, you need to learn programming. I suggest PHP is the best, there are many open source framework available in PHP. You cam install open source shopping cart on your website and learn customization. If you need good design hire professional web designer.
Old April 25th, 2014, 06:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If you wish to do this yourself it is not difficult, but you need to know how to program. I would suggest that you need to know HTML, PHP and MySQL.

Trying to set up a such site yourself, using precoded scripts when you do not have the basics is a recipe for disaster.

Consider enrolling in a community college in an IT course that has an e-commerce stream. Without this you will have great difficulty. Most such courses have a final project that involved coding an on-line store.

Alternatively you could seek out a good student who has just graduated from such a college and enquire how much he would charge you to code such a site. Always remembering that you are going to have to get him back periodically to help maintain your site.

EDIT: Why are we answering this 8 year old thread, Triforce you twit, you fooled yourself and you fooled me, curses to you, you new foolish member.

Last edited by Ned Seagoon; April 25th, 2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Discovered it is an old thread.
Old April 25th, 2014, 06:27 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you can create a storefront with ebay and amazon.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/specialty...pen-store.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-acco...&ld=AZSOAMakeM