Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old August 27th, 2016, 10:00 PM

WIN 10 system image

is it really necessary that I create a system image backup? I regularly backup my program data and documents and I have created the system repair disc.
Old August 27th, 2016, 11:23 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
A system image is an exact copy of all system disks which can be used to restore your PC to the state it was in at the time the image was made. By default, a system image only includes the drives that Windows requires to run, including Windows 10 itself, your system settings, programs, and files. You may also include any other drive in the image if you wish. When you restore your computer from a system image it is a complete restoration, you cannot choose individual items to restore and all of your current programs, system settings, and files are replaced with the contents of the system image.

It's good that you backup data and documents. A repair disc, may repair Windows so you can boot back up. But if it is unrepairable then your screwed. Your options would be to reinstall Windows, and if you used the free upgrade to Windows 10, then you do not have Windows 10 Disc.

If you have a image of the drive then you can restore it back to where it was when you ran the image.
Old August 28th, 2016, 12:59 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you don't have to keep one, but if your drive crash, you will have to reinstall from scratch, then will have hours upon hours of updates, software installs, setting changes before you can get back to normal. by keeping an image, you will cut a lot of time out of the process.

In addition, there can be conflicts if say microsoft update is installed after an hp update when the hp update was in response to a microsoft update. It can happen and can be a pain to fix.

One thing for sure, if you do not keep a system image, you better keep track of all the different software keys, registration information and other so you can reinstall all software without having to repurchase it
Old September 4th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Banned

I have setup a mini micro server on my network and automated the manual process of copying my files over to the server with replication to other two hard drives.