Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old April 14th, 2015, 03:12 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Unhappy When making home movies, some video clips freeze.

Hi, I'm having trouble with movies I make on my pc. Some of the video clips freeze, while the sound keeps going. I have windows home premium. I thought it was movie maker causing this problem, so I bought Magix video software, and same thing! (I don't have ANY money to waste, and was VERY disappointed!) So then I thought new memory would fix, spent my b day money on it, WRONG, but I'm learning! I have a 32 bit system (info in my profile). I make a yearly family movie, and all the kids and grands SO look forward to it on Thanksgiving. Hubby wants to buy me a new tower, but I hate to waste more money if I don' need to. If I do need to, what should I get to fix this problem? Life would be complete if I could just make their movie for them each year! Any help for Grammy? Thanks
Old April 14th, 2015, 05:53 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Can you give a little more info please?
After you make the movie do you burn it to a DVD, and play it on a TV? If so do the clips freeze when viewing on the TV?
Old April 14th, 2015, 09:25 PM

I have been making my movies since 2009. The clips will begin to freeze even in the program, while I am in the process of making the movie. I have learned quite a bit about converting the types of files so that they are compatible with the software programs, importing pictures and clips. Some of the movies come out fine. Some I have had to go ahead and burn to dvd with the clips that hang, due to time restraints (Thanksgiving day, cooking the dinner, family coming expecting our movie!) I wondered if it had to do with the length of the movie, and what my computer is able to handle. I've had this pc for about 5 yrs now (though I do good maintenance and treat it nicely!). So not knowing any better, and after buying different movie making software, I thought new memory might help. So the clips freeze within the software program, and then, of course, when I burn and play the dvd. It is so frustrating. Thank you for your reply.
Old April 14th, 2015, 10:26 PM

It would help if you told us the make, and model number of the computer. Is it a desktop or laptop computer? Have you noticed any overheating of the computer? If it's a desktop computer would you know if it has a dedicated video card, or if it has integrated video?
You say that some of the movies come out fine. How do the ones that come out fine differ from the ones that don't? Are the ones that come out fine made from just still photos or a mixture of still and videos? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure out why some come out ok, and the others don't.
Old April 14th, 2015, 10:46 PM

Just looked in your profile, and saw the make and model number of your computer. I see that it has integrated video, not a separate video card.
Do you notice any other problems with the computer? Other than the videos freezing do you notice any problems with watching videos on YouTube?
Old April 14th, 2015, 11:16 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you are running an out of date computer and operating system get that new tower your husband wanted to get you :-) this is your chance :-)

does your event viewer logs show any errors?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...=windows-vista
Old April 15th, 2015, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPR512 View Post
Just looked in your profile, and saw the make and model number of your computer. I see that it has integrated video, not a separate video card.
Do you notice any other problems with the computer? Other than the videos freezing do you notice any problems with watching videos on YouTube?

I don't know anything about integrated video, or video cards, but no, I don't notice any other problems, other than being a little slow. I watch videos quite a bit, you tube, and those I download. All good. I would have to say that my first few (yearly) movies did fine, then subsequent years started having problems. Renegade600's reply caused me to remember (thanks!) I did start getting error messages in the Magix program this last time. It said something like "memory allocation error". Maybe that helps?
Old April 15th, 2015, 02:14 AM

Sorry that posted wrong place, tablet acting stupid!
Old April 15th, 2015, 01:01 PM

Just to educate you a little. If you take a look at the back of your tower where you connect your monitor do you see more than one connector for the monitor? They usually are blue. Most times when the video is integrated onto the motherboard the blue connector is near the top left side of the tower. Sometimes computers come with only integrated video which means that the video connection is right on the motherboard. According to the specs for your computer it seems that it came from the factory with just integrated video.
You've said that you don't notice problems when watching other videos so I doubt that the video on your motherboard is the problem.
You said that the computer is slow. Has it always been slow or just started slowing down recently? Have you checked in the Event Viewer as Renegade asked?

EDIT: Can you look in Movie Maker to see what version number you are using?

Last edited by IPR512; April 15th, 2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old April 15th, 2015, 02:14 PM

Thanks a bunch Renegade, I'll print out that info and go check!
Old April 15th, 2015, 02:51 PM

All I found in the event logs was "MMC could not create the snap-in". I know this pc is kind of old, but was hoping there was a cheaper solution than buying a new one (saving for a new roof!) If I do have to get a new tower, I would appreciate some advice on what I should get. Mostly for surfing the net, making my movies, burning dvds and cds, decent quality (and life expectancy!) I spent $50 dollars on 2-2gb memory sticks (which TOTALLY didn't work for this) and was wondering if I could use them in whatever pc I purchase next.
Old April 15th, 2015, 03:06 PM

My computer is not super slow, just a little slower that it used to be, which I contributed to it's age. We clean and defrag, I try to get most of our pics and videos put on cds. I have kept my last 3 movies on separate zip drives (hoping to be able to go back and correct their flaws). I usually like to burn copies of the annual movies and distribute to each family, but I'm disgusted with the flaws in the last few! As you can see, the event logs said "MMC could not create the snap-in". Don't know if this is helpful, but the ratings in that section said this pc base score is 3.2. Processor-4.9, Ram-4.8, graphics-3.5, gaming graphics-3.2, primary hard disk-5.9. My Movie Maker info said: version 6.0.6002.18273 (Build 6002:serv pack 2) Physical memory available to Windows: 2,610,768kb
Old April 15th, 2015, 05:52 PM

I'm just wondering if you might want to try downloading, and installing Windows Live Essentials 2011 for Vista 32 bit to see if that would work better for you.
Here is the link if you want to give it a try.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=29219
Old April 15th, 2015, 06:48 PM

Ok, I went and looked at that. Should I get the whole thing, or in your opinion, just photo gallery and movie maker? If I don't like it, can I revert back? Can you anyone make recommendations as to what would be suitable for my computer needs if I need to get a new tower (See my earlier post)? Thanks for being so helpful.
Old April 15th, 2015, 07:06 PM

It might not hurt to get the whole thing. From what I've read after you install it you will still have the Movie Maker in programs that you have now so if you don't like the new version you can always go into programs, and use the old one that you have now.
As far as getting a new computer just, because Movie Maker is causing you problems I probably wouldn't do it. I know people that are still using Windows XP, and Vista is newer than that. It all depends on whether or not you want to spend the money also.
You've already thrown away $50 on memory that didn't help so let's see if we can figure out if you can make videos for your family with the new download.