Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 18th, 2011, 09:11 PM

Left Click, Highlight to Cut & Paste - Not working all the time

Not sure if this is a Windows 7 Problem or another program.

I am using Windows 7, 64 bit and IE8. I have had some intermittent problems with this function, but lately it is getting much worse.

When I left click on the mouse and try to highlight text that I want to cut, copy or paste, it doesn't work very well anymore. Sometimes it will highlight some of the text, sometimes none, sometimes only if I do it from the end of the area I want to highlight. I can usually get it to work if I work at it long enough, but it shouldn't be this way. Doesn't seem to matter where I am trying to copy the text. Problem exists on IE8, MS Office Programs and pretty much all programs on my computer.

Any ideas what I could check?

Thanks!
Carl
Old October 18th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
To see if it's a mouse problem, open a document with text, put the cursor at the beginning of a line, then press and hold a shift key while using an arrow key to highlight text. Once you have a line or two of text selected, use the Ctrl C combination to copy what's been highlighted. Then use the Ctrl V combination to paste that text somewhere.

If that works every time without fail, the problem is probably the mouse.
Old October 18th, 2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks,

Tried what you suggested. Opened a Word document and used the shift - arrow combination and it works fine - right, left, up and down.

I have a Logitech wireless MX1100 mouse and I downloaded all new drivers and software this morning thinking that it might be the problem, but it didn't seem to help.
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If you have access to another, known good mouse, plug it in and everything works and you know the batteries in Logitech mouse are fully charged, then I'd conclude the mouse is defective.

I have almost no experience with wireless mice, though, so someone with that experience may have a suggestion or two.
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:58 AM

Thanks Miz,

Appreciate the help. Found the original wired mouse that came with the computer. Plugged it in and it highlights just fine, so must be my wireless mouse showing signs of age. Must be a mechanical or electrical problem in it. Probably time for a new one.

Thanks again.
Carl