Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:08 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
"Side by side config" error

Trying to fix a friend's mother's laptop running Vista. Lots of viruses, malware, yadda yadda yadda. That stuff I think I can fix, however.. Just tried to install Avast on the machine, both in safe mode and regular. Each time I run it, it comes up with an error saying "Side by side configuration is incorrect". No codes or specifics. Only things I could find by searching is that it is related to DLLs being corrupt or missing in Vista.. and now I'm stuck. Any ideas?
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Trying to install any anti-virus or anti-malware software on a computer already infected is a recipe for disaster. Viruses are written to disable the more widely used AV programs and Avast is in that group.

You will also find that current malware is quite sophisticated, requiring more specialized, powerful tools and someone skilled in their use to deal with.

I recommend you read this thread, then start a new thread in our Malware Removal Forum and let the experts there help you clean things up so you can then install some security software for them.