Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:46 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
"Upgrading" to windows XP.

So a friend bought a laptop that came with windows Vista and doesn't like Vista. So they bought XP and asked me to install it for them... only problem is the computer refuses to read the XP disk, both before and after boot.... just acts as if there is no disk in the drive. The disk is fine, works on my desktop. The drive reads other things fine (both DVDs and CDs)...

Honestly in the dark about this one, still haven't made the leap of faith to try Vista...

The laptop wont read my older XP CD either, that also works fine...

is there something I'm missing here? ><
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Before you start even trying to install XP, make absolutely sure there are XP compatible drivers for the hardware. Many manufacturers aren't bothering to write XP drivers for their new stuff...and it's generally new stuff that's on a new computer, after all.

Laptops are even more problematic since they use a lot of components unique to not only laptops but also specific laptop manufacturers. If a component manufacturer knows a particular product is going into a Vista laptop, the chances are slim there will be XP compatible drivers.

If you can find XP drivers for the hardware...sound, video, ethernet cards and anything else they may have...you'd be well advised to download them all and burn them to CD or DVD. That way, you'll have them in case you can't get it online immediately to download them. If nothing else, make sure you have XP compatible drivers for whatever they use to get online.

If you can find all the drivers you'll need, there are lots of resources for downgrading from Vista to XP on this page.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I didn't think you could downgrade from Vista to XP. I thought to do that you would have to completely format your Vista to be able to put XP on it. Admittedly I'm no fan of laptops and have little experience with them, but shouldn't they follow similiarly to a desktop? Can you even wipe a hard drive clean on a lap top?

The bigger question is: Why did they buy it with Vista if they don't like it? I personally like Vista over XP, and I think a majority of people don't want to try it because of Apple's negative marketing they have done.