Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old July 15th, 2020, 03:42 PM

twisted sideways

Win 10 on a Gateway desktop, i3.

Some of my photos appear twisted sideways when rendered in whatever MS is calling Windows Explorer these days (Explorer being part of the OS rather than an independent app).

It is inconsistent, occurring about 2 or 3% of the time. What is really a landscape photo shows up in portrait 90 degrees off kilter, but it is always the same pix that are sideways regardless of how they are filed or how old they are, so it is not completely random in terms of what pics are affected and when they are affected. At times I get different results for consecutively taken pics with all the same camera settings.

I'll note that when I click on the twisted sideways photos in Explorer to render them in MS Picture Manager, they come out normally, and if I twist them in Explorer they render normally there but twisted in Picture Manager and if I twist them in Picture Manager so they render sideways there, they come out correctly in Explorer. I just can't make the two of them sync 100% of the time.

Also, all the pix at issue are the same size in inches -- though not in pixels or file size -- and all of them have been improved in various ways with the same free app PhotoScape, though other apps may have been applied to them along the way. All of them are .jpg, and though they might not have started life that way, that factor does not seem to be making any difference either.

It is pretty inexplicable. Any thoughts on how this happened and how I can keep it at bay?

Last edited by Total Noob; July 15th, 2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old July 16th, 2020, 03:55 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
A number of applications can be used to rotate pictures when displayed, however for that rotation to stick the application needs to be able to save the picture in the rotated form and the user needs to click save once the picture is correctly displayed.
Old July 17th, 2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
A number of applications can be used to rotate pictures when displayed, however for that rotation to stick the application needs to be able to save the picture in the rotated form and the user needs to click save once the picture is correctly displayed.
Yes. Exactly what I have done. WinPicManager allows a 90 degree twist but requires an ok to save it that way, which I always agree to, at which point a correctly rendered pic on WinExplorer twists to incorrect and an incorrectly rendered pic on WinExplorer becomes correct, except it is now sideways in storage and when all other apps use it.