Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old June 26th, 2020, 06:51 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Question Questions re: making my home network function

Help please ...

I've tried multiple times to make our private home network work, to no avail. I'm now taking stab at it once again. I've gone to multiple forums to look for answers and am now thoroughly confused.

We have 2 desktops & 3 laptops, all Windows 10, some Home & some Pro, all WiFi connected, with a working internet connection. We use Norton as the antivirus & firewall on all machines.

The Advanced Sharing settings In Network & Sharing Center are also the same, and Password Protection Sharing in All Networks is OFF.

Here are my questions:

1. I have created a Workgroup. Do I actually need it? If not, should I disable it?

2. When I click on Network in File Explorer, I can see the computers that are awake, but whenever I click on one or another, I get the request for network credentials.

a) I assume that's basically the same as logging on to the other computer. Is that right?

b) Are they necessary to make things work? Or can we do without them?

c) As far as I know, neither I nor my husband has ever created these for our own machines. How do I find out if we have?

d) If we need them, should they be the same on all machines, or different on each?

e) Do they need to be re-entered every time we want to log on to another computer, or can there be a once & done?

3. Re: mapped network drives

a) Is it an alternative to using network credentials, or something you do after the rest is setup?

b) Do mapped drives show up in File Explorer even if that computer is asleep? If not, is there a setting that will make it wake up ?

I know this is a lot ... I want to get all the basics set; hopefully we'll be good to go. If not, I'll be back!

Thanks,

Nancy
Old June 27th, 2020, 01:29 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Hi Nancy, you seem to have gone off at a tangent, could I suggest that you start again. You do not need a workgroup.

Take a look at these details and follow them faithfully to get your network established, hopefully it will be working once you have followed each step.
Old June 27th, 2020, 11:55 PM

Let me try again with baby steps.

We have 5 computers on our home network: 3 laptops (2 Win10 Pro, 1 Win10 Home) and 2 desktops (both Home). One at a time, I'm trying to get them to see & talk with each other.

Today I'm working on my Win10 Pro laptop (A) and one of the Win10 Home desktops (B).

File Explorer > Network > A & B.

A clicks on B. Enter Network Credentials window pops up.

B clicks on A. No request for credentials; 4 folders appear.
Double click on any of the folders: "You do not have permission to access ___. Check with your administrator."

I'm guessing all this means that various settings on A & B are conflicting.

Re: Credentials

1. Do I need to use Network Credentials in order for the network devices to communicate?

2. Where do I check to see if credentials have/haven't been set up so I can either clear or fix them?

3. What steps do I take to straighten this out?

Re: Permission to access

I'm guessing that these settings come after the Network Credentials are sorted out.

1. Does "... access" have to do with any of the Sharing settings? If so, which ones?

2. Where are the permissions set &/or changed?

3. What steps do I take to get this right?

Nancy
Old June 28th, 2020, 09:53 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
First step:- Forget about your preconceived ideas.

Second step:- Read "A step-by-step guide to setting up your home network" The link in my previous post.

Third step:- Just do it, as explained in the guide.
Old June 28th, 2020, 06:12 PM

Article, Step 5 -

My Windows10 Pro Control Panel User Account window has different options than those that are described for Windows 7.

*I wanted to include a screenshot image, but don't know how.*

Click Make Changes to My Account in PC Settings

*Screenshot to go here too.*

Click on Family & Other Users

Which do I want to add: Family or Other Users? All the computers on the network belong to me and my husband.

Old June 28th, 2020, 10:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
just a thought, if you only want to network all the computers in order to share files, it may be easier and more efficient to use a nas drive (external harddrive connected to your router). It would only take a few minutes to setup.

Last edited by renegade600; June 28th, 2020 at 11:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Old June 28th, 2020, 11:45 PM

Dan,

Do we have to move all the files from each computer to the NAS drive?
Old June 28th, 2020, 11:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardar View Post
Dan,

Do we have to move all the files from each computer to the NAS drive?
it would be central storage so yes, you will have to move the files you want to share.
Old June 29th, 2020, 04:29 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
One of your problems is NORTON. You do not need with Windows 10, Windows 10 Defender has built in malware/antivirus and works great. Having said that, have you configured Norton to allow the Network?

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...tions/v9802264