Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old June 25th, 2020, 11:22 PM

Bad Windows

I got nagged to do a Windows update for my Elite Book i3 laptop, so I gave in just around COB, only to miss the brief chance for a no reconfiguration shutdown after a three hour download was complete, so it auto rebooted, started reconfiguring on its own, and now it is many hours later, the reconfiguration on reboot is only 6% complete and progressing infuriatingly slowly, and I'm warned against turning it off, though not told what the consequence of doing so might be. Normally it takes a few minutes to update, but this one seems to be a massive one without specific advice to that effect and no details on the danger from wanting to go home.

Fortunately I was actually home and plugged in, but it didn't have to be that way. The battery is crap, so if I had been out of the house and maybe at a desk in an office somewhere when this came up, I would be stuck wherever I was for hours with no computer, prolly sitting there with my thumbs up my ass, or choosing to take an unknown ginormous risk if I decided I needed to be on the last bus home and shut down despite the warning, not that even a new fresh battery would have lasted long enough to finish the job on the way home, or so it seems. On the other hand, had I gotten the nag in the morning and acted on it then, I prolly would have been unable to use it pretty much all day, and would have lost everything I needed to do.

It is ludicrous that Microsoft won't tell you specifically that a given update is effectively going to be an all day event, so do it overnight if you want to be productive or be home at some point during this miserable task.

Is this the same with Macs? I have little love for Linux, but I never had to wait 6 or 8 hours to have my computer back with that OS.

Last edited by Total Noob; June 25th, 2020 at 11:34 PM.
Old June 26th, 2020, 07:33 AM

O/S: Linux
Old June 26th, 2020, 06:22 PM

Alas, the news is even worse. It took several more hours to complete the update; fortunately because I was home I could let it go and proceed to dinner.

I used it for a few more hours this morning and then poof: sudden death.

The computer just stopped dead and would not power back on. Yeah, it could be the adapter, but I'm not going out in the crisis to find out that I have to spend more money on a computer than it is worth.

Meanwhile, my desktop just crapped out last week due to a drive failure and I'd spent the better part of a day migrating the data on it to the laptop, and it now looks like I'm doing that job in reverse with the new desktop today after pulling the hard drive out.

This is not the first time I have lost two working computers almost simultaneously. But the conjunction to the Win10 update makes me wonder. There was also an article in today's NY Times saying that Russian hackers are taking advantage of work-at-home orders. Could the update have been a phony? If so, then Microsoft only deserves a share of my ire and angst for permitting this, as opposed to possibly causing it by a bad update.

Last edited by Total Noob; June 26th, 2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old June 27th, 2020, 11:50 PM

Ok, partial apology to Microsoft.

I kept fiddling with the dead laptop and it eventually came back to life after I scavanged it and then before dumping it in the ecycling pulled the battery out and reseated the RAM. Don't know why that worked. I had not damaged the laptop and it was sitting on my desk when it crapped out initially. Strange.

Could it be related to the update? I won't rule it out, but since the computer is still kicking despite everything, I can't complain either.

Stay safe and distant, all.