Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:13 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
0xc0000005 and other related errors

Hello again everyone. After years of loyal service my computer decided to break the peace big time. Last night I turned on my monitor and saw a couple of errors. All of which had to do with "The file or directory [file adres] is corrupt and unreadable. Please run Chkdsk utility"

I rebooted and run Chkdsk but nothing showed. I noticed a couple of programs were corrupted (Firefox, Microsoft Office and some more). I couldn't open them anymore which is very annoying to say the least. But the worst is yet to come - my entire 'my documents' directory is gone. All movies, music, documents - everything is gone. When I open up the folder, I just see a new folder that had just been made by Norton Internet Security.

When I look at 'My computer' I see the memory is still used so I don't think all the files are 'really' gone - the computer just can't acces them. In my search cache there were some files which used to be in 'My documents'. When I click that, I get the message:

xxx refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet on your network, then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

None of those things apply - I didn't move any file, I'm connected to the internet (but that's hardly relevant I think) and my discs are 'properly inserted'. I don't use a network.

I'm affraid something rather important has become corrupted and I don't know what.

What I tried to fix this:

- Norton internet security virus scan - came up clean. It's fully updated
- Registry cleaner - didn't fix anything
- un-erase tool - it's still running in the background (2 hours remaining), I hope to find some files with it
- used the Windows Computer Management - Disk Management tool but I no errors/idications there
- booting is safe mode doesn't change anything.
- shouting at the computer

I don't know where to look for a sollution or what diagnostic tools I should use. I use a RAID 1+0 setup so I doubt it's a hard disk failure but then again I'm keeping all possible options open.

I would really apreciate some help as to what I should do to get things back to normal again. What diagnostic tools should I run? What do I have to do to get my documents back? what do I have to do to get Microsoft Office (and other programs) running again?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:02 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I assume you have "2" drives in RAID configuration? If so, unhook one of the drives and reboot it you should get a warning saying that either drive "0" or "1" was corrupted/non-bootable/missing and then be given a choice to boot from the second drove.

See if the data is there. You could have a corrupted RAID controller.