Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old September 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Problems with dual boot vista/xp

I had only vista installed up until yesterday, but then i decided to install XP as well and use it as a dual boot since there are certain apps/games that don't work in vista. So now i've got XP installed, but the boot menu where you select the OS you want to boot doesn't work. I can only boot xp, not vista. I tried changing the boot.ini in XP and add vista as an option, and when i select vista in the boot menu it says that some file is missing or something. I haven't changed anything in the vista folder. It is still exactly as it was yesterday, but it just won't boot. I'd rather not have to re-install it from scratch and lose all my settings and installed stuff, i just want to be able to boot it. My understanding is that vista doesn't use the boot.ini file, but some other file, so that might be the problem. How can i force the computer to read vista's boot file instead of XP's?
Old September 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
if you have your vista DVD load it and restart. Do a startup repair and it should work after it runs.