Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Help! Virtual Disk Service Erroring Drive E: Missing

Salutations everyone...

I have Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 fully updated

I decided to go for the Windows 7 upgrade and had things backed up... The upgrade didn't work and caused a hard time with getting the backup to restore and function after the install messed up. Now Drive E is missing and that has all my downloads on it and also saved personal information. All drives in the computer save for the old sata 160GB are new.. especially the Drive E: in question.. I can't find it listed anywhere, save for in the BIOS... not even in the device manager, but the event viewer has a Virtual Disk Service error that reads as follows>>

Computer Management>System Tools>Event Viewer>Windows Logs>System>

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Virtual Disk Service

- EventID 1

[ Qualifiers] 49664

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2009-09-16T10:50:16.000Z

EventRecordID 28194

Channel System

Computer Yjidhan-PC

Security

- EventData

5@02000028

What do I do?? My's at a loss on this one.. Thanks in advance.

Rez.
Old September 16th, 2009, 01:48 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Have you installed your drivers, specifically your Motherboard drivers? Do that and see if the HDD shows up.
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:22 PM

All drivers are installed...I can try running the installer again, but this is a RESTORE image... One made with windows own backup facility... I have a thought.. Could it be that the partition(s) got damaged on the drive.. and what should We do to recover them.. nothing has been written or will be. until this is fixed.. * Investigates partition recovery tools * The image retored is a complete OS.

Addendum> It indeed looks like the partition got fubared.. suggestioinsd on data recovery please?? this is one of th emost critical drives.. I am attempting to use Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery atm

Add2> Still processing even this late in the eve.. might have to search for the drive in DOS mode * sighs * it shows up in the install of windows under the drive choice window...

Add3> Using PTDD Partition Table Doctor.. I think this program will do it.. it found the damaged partition and is examining now.

Last edited by Rezig; September 17th, 2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:30 AM

ok.. Here's the resolution...

PTDD totally fubared the drive and made invalid partitions all over. thereby losing another partition.. and not being able to make a new one because it was screwed.. I should have used Bootit Next Generation.. the very first time. All it took to get Drive E: back was to take about 16MB off of the end in a resize move to repair the partition.. then to reextend through computer management>disk management in the control panel under Administrative Tools. Then recreate the desired partitions using the windows disk under install mode ( the place where you choose on what drive to install windows. then go back to the repair center on the same disk and use the backed up image to at last have a good restore.. too bad the West Wing partition ended up dissolving in the process, before Bootit NG, but all of that drive is replacable.. I hope this info helps anyone else wo has something like this happen..

Namaste...

Rezig.

Last edited by Rezig; September 17th, 2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old September 17th, 2009, 02:32 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Thank you for posting your solution. I am sure others will find it helpful. I am glad that you got your partition back.