Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:25 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Enterprise
Help with Sound problems

When i have speakers plugged into my computer i get sound from everything. If i disconnect them and then connect them again i lose sound for programs (programs i have tested: itunes, windows media, youtube) but i still get other sounds (windows startup sound for instance). To get sound for itunes again i need to restart it. It is as if when i unplug the speakers my computer sends a message saying "there are no speakers plugged in" and it does not allow me to use itunes.

This is a problem for me because i am constantly unplugging my speakers to plug them into my ipod or to put headphones into the computer.

Any thought on how to change the settings so it does not do this?

The sound card is built into the motherboard and it is a "VIA High Definition Audio". VIA being the make.

This is driving me crazy, any help much appreciated. Thanks
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Hi Marmites,

I had this problem, two computors with one set of of speakers. I got around the problem by slicing into the speaker cables and adding another set of jacks. I figured that the speakers would only ever be used by one system at a time.

The only real problem is the cables are very thin (well in my case they were) and if you try to cut into the plastic covering with a knife you will more than likely cut through the wires as well. I got around this by putting a lighter flame under the cable and burning the plastic off. I then soldered it all back together. If you don't like using a soldering iron twist the wires tightly together and add a drop of super glue for good measure. Make sure each small cable is insulated from the others with plastic tape.

Lionel
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Just noticed your comment about headphones. Do you not have a separate headphones jack on the computor or the speakers?
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Enterprise
thanks for the reply, but is there a way to get around this by changing the settings somewhere?

Last edited by marmites; January 7th, 2009 at 10:14 AM.