Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:21 PM

Monitors Dead

Hi,

I was using my computer for some audio applications, and suddenly, my monitors went on "standby" mode.

I promptly restarted my PC, yet the monitors kept on displaying "NO RGB SIGNAL FOUND"

Now, I tried the cables on a different computer, they're fine...

I have no experience with the build/production of computers, and I have no clue where to start? I have to complete some work rather soon and i'm quite worried.

Any suggestions?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:03 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
This is probably not a serious problem. The cable was likely bumped and slightly unseated your video card. Odds are, no permanent damage was done.

First, unplug your computer's power cable, and put the case somewhere you can work free of static electricity. Ideally, you should have a little static-band on your wrist clipped to something grounded, but that usually doesn't happen. In general, grabbing something metal to make sure you have no static electricity in your hand is good enough.

Open your case. Ignoring all cables and wires, there should be a 'card' plugged into your motherboard, directly inside where you plug your monitor into your computer. That is your video card.

Carefully remove the video card. There may be a small lever or button catch you have to undo, or it may pull straight out. Study it a bit first before you do it. You may have to apply some force to get it out, but don't reply a ridiculous amount of strength. Looking at what you're dealing with, common sense should be able to tell you whether or not what you're doing is working right.

After you have it removed, just to be sure, search for any visible burn marks on the card. If you find any, you need to replace the card. More than likely, the card will be fine.

If this is the case, plug it back in so that it is exactly how it was. Usually any levers or button catches will snap on their own, but you may have to fiddle around with them a bit to get it to work right. Again, apply reasonable force to make sure it is seated correctly.

Hook your monitor back up, and reconnect your computer to power supply. Start the computer, and, with luck, your problem will be solved.
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:05 PM

Thanks a lot,

I'll try that in the morning.

Much appreciated.