Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:12 AM

Lost wireless connection - laptop - moved by Jintan

System in question;
Aspire One D255E
Win7 starter, Intel 1.66, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
adapters;
Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E (NDIS 6.20)
Broadcom 802.11n

Hey all - connectivity issue here. My sis has the above laptop. For a year or better, she has been wirelessly connected to her local network, via a Linksys E2000 router without issue.

Rather suddenly a couple of weeks back, she found she had no connection. There were no changes to this network that I'm aware of (the users don't even know how to change settings online for said network). Several available networks show up on the list (hers and a couple of unsecured neighbors I believe). Despite full bars for her local network, clicking 'connect' has no visible effect. Nothing happens. Not like a 'failed to connect' or something similar, just...nothing.

I went through various steps such as;
- assured that fn+F2 was not the issue, wireless is enabled
- power down, wait and reboot the modem, router, and her laptop, in that order
- 'hard' reset router at power up to restore defaults
- uninstalled network adapter(s) and reinstalled - with the company site's latest drivers - they installed, and 'ready to use' appeared
- ran the various (fairly useless) Windows network diagnostics which essentially told me I hadn't selected a network...which I had...repeatedly
- Swapped out router completely with another, with the same results
- Took laptop here, to a completely different network, again with the same results
- released/renewed IP on laptop
- reset TCP/IP with 'netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt' command

The local networks I'm attempting to connect to are unsecured - no password required, etc.

So, any idea what I should try next? My experience here is rather limited, and I've run out of ideas. Thanks much for any suggestions!
Old January 31st, 2013, 01:16 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Welcome to CTH godlesswonder,

Seems like you were pretty thorough in what you did check, so let's check for malware issues (if you still need assistance). You will have to use something like a usb stick to transfer files, for now.

The system is Windows 7, so when running any of the scan files we use, be sure to right click the file, then select "Run as administrator" to start the scan/tool.

And To make sure you have an accurate view of files there, make sure you can View Hidden Files. Also uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types"

To keep them from interfering with the repairs, be sure to temporarily disable all antivirus/anti-spyware softwares while these steps are being completed. This can usually be done through right clicking the software's Taskbar icons, or accessing each software through Start - Programs. Here are some antivirus disable tips if needed.

-------

Click here and download OldTimer's OTL to your desktop, then click that to open the scan display. At the top click "Scan All Users", then click "Run Scan". Make no other changes at this time.

When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are also saved in the same location as OTL.exe. Post the contents of those back here please.

-----------

Download RogueKiller (http://www.sur-la-toile.com/RogueKiller/) to your desktop. Click the RogueKiller icon next to:

(Download link) : Lien de téléchargement: ).

Close all open programs
Remember to right click -> run as administrator, and click the downloaded file.
Wen RogueKiller finises it's opening scan, press the Scan button..
A RKreport.txt will be created in the same location as the RogueKiller file.
If the program is blocked, do not hesitate to try several times. If it really does not work (it could happen), rename it to winlogon.exe, and try again.

Please post the contents of the RKreport.txt.

I will move this request to the CTH Malware Removal Forum as well.
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
Welcome to CTH godlesswonder,

Seems like you were pretty thorough in what you did check, so let's check for malware issues (if you still need assistance)...
Thanks, but I did finally resolve this. Turns out it was the NIC itself - fried. We got her a USB wireless adapter plugged it in and it connected great.
Old February 1st, 2013, 12:48 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to post back the update. Be well.