Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old October 14th, 2005, 09:46 PM

Question ATA Serial drive works fine, cant get older IDE drive to act as slave or show in BIOS

Hi, I just recently bought a new computer from customperfection.com they installed a WD rapter 74gb 10 000rpm drive and installed windows on it. It shows up in bios and works wonderfully.

The problem i am having is installing my old HD from my old computer which isnt working properly but has 40 gigs of important data on it that i cannot lose. I attached the IDE cables, and tried every single jumper setting i could think of, but still i CANT get it to show up in BIOS. Yet, when both drives are connected it continues to try to boot up off of the old HD which just freezes when it starts loading windows. No matter what combination of jumper settings i try i cannot get my system to reconize the old HD in bios. If i could get it to show up, i would be able to change the boot priority to the first HD and disable booting off of the second. I dont know what to do anymore guys, iv spent hours trying everything. I CANNOT FORMAT THE OLD HD!! I simpley need it to reconize in the damn computer so i can transfer my data over, and then ill format and everything will be dandy.

Can anyone help?
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Senior T-Dog

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
how u doin

tdfalls,welcome to CTH
could u post the brand name & model # of your motherboard,i did a search and some say set bios at scsi instead Hdd0,set the ide hdd at cable,some mobo might not support duel setups,this is just the start ok,it is a tricky setup,also,since this is a brand new puter have you tried to contact makers tech support yet
http://www.customperfect.com

Last edited by sho-dan; October 14th, 2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:51 PM

Thumbs up We Helped Tyler Fix His Hard Drive Problem

Just wanted to post a quick note here to let everyone know that we able to solver Tylers hard drive problem within 24 hours.

It was as simple as swapping out the cable.

We built him a beautiful system and I am glad that he is happy with it.

John Derrick
CustomPerfect.com