Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:41 PM

Change codec in AVI files

For the first time I used my digital camera to shoot video for Christmas. I can view the video on my PC but when I try to watch it on my TV via Verizon FIOS media manager I get an error message that the video format is not supported. I did some checking and the video format is AVI, which is supported by media manager however the codec needs to be " Supported video codecs in AVI/MP4 files: mjpg, m4s2, xvid, divx, wmv, mpg, flv1 vp6f, and mp42."

I was wondering if there is a way to change the codec format. If so I would appreciate a step by step process. I know nothing about video or codec formats. Thank you. Happy New Year..
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:14 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Download and install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 9.6.5, reboot, and see if that corrects things.
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:22 PM

I tried the K-lite download but no luck. Thanks anyway
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:46 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

AVI files. Download and install this, and try again.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:09 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Jintan it apears you should read the post again they play ok on his PC he wants to convert to play on TV screen... There is many free converters, someone here may have some good ones I just tried Divx plus converter . It looks like it may do what you need with some fiddling , but there may be easyer ways some here may know ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bens View Post
For the first time I used my digital camera to shoot video for Christmas. I can view the video on my PC but when I try to watch it on my TV via Verizon FIOS media manager I get an error message that the video format is not supported. I did some checking and the video format is AVI, which is supported by media manager however the codec needs to be " Supported video codecs in AVI/MP4 files: mjpg, m4s2, xvid, divx, wmv, mpg, flv1 vp6f, and mp42."

I was wondering if there is a way to change the codec format. If so I would appreciate a step by step process. I know nothing about video or codec formats. Thank you. Happy New Year..

Last edited by Colmaca; January 2nd, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
how are you trying to watch it on your tv? is it connected to your computer or other. Be specific - if your computer is not connected to the tv via wire or wifi, exactly what device is running Verizon FIOS media manager?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:14 PM

Verizon FIOS media manager works over my LAN... This all may be moot. My Verizon bill just went up $20.00 and they won't work with me to give me a credit. May go to Time Warner and give them a shot...
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:47 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
all you need to do is convert the files to a format it likes try wondows movie maker and a wmv format