Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 Problem solving for the NT, Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012 Operating Systems

Topic Tools
Old March 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Unhappy 2nd IDE drive not recognized post upgrade, now says drive is unformatted? Data lost?

Hoping someone can help and I haven't lost all my data. I am a novice PC user with limited knowledge. My mouse and keyboard are PS2. I have a Desktop Dell Dimension XPS T500 series with a Pentium III, 640 Ram & 2 Hard Drives. The original 13GB IDE drive & a 2 year old 80GB IDE drive purchased from Dell. I recently upgraded to Win 2000 Pro from Win 98 SE and my second 80GB Hard Drive was not recognized post upgrade. (When I was previously using Win 98 SE and the drive was recognized.) The 2nd drive shows up in my BIOS as a removable drive and is the slave drive. To make matters worse I'm not sure what else I changed or did but now my 2nd drive is now getting an error saying it is unformatted. Did I lose all of my data on the drive? Is there any way of retrieving or restoring it? I have not saved or written anything to the disk post upgrade.

I was using it to store family pictures & photos and would be devastated to lose my kids pics & movies. I know this is a bit late & I need an external back-up. I was looking into one but I am a novice user and unsure how to integrate into my system.

Please help. Thanks!
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I'm not very familiar with Win 2000, but it will use the NTFS file system; Win98 used FAT32. Possibly it's just that Win2000 can't read FAT32 drives.
Do you have access to another computer that you could temporarily hook the slave drive to? Remove the drive and temporarily connect it to a different computer running Win XP or Win98. See if the drive is recognized correctly and if you can see your data. Back your pix, movies, etc. up first chance you get
If you don't have access to another computer or if the other computer can't see your data, there are recovery programs available that might help. They're spendy, so hopefully you can access your data without resorting to that.
Post back after you try some things, and tell us what you've done and what the results are.
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:47 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
prob just converting the drive to NTFS would solve the issue.
Open up the command line by going to start>run> in the run box type CMD then hit enter. Once the command line opens just type this in:

convert D: /FS:NTFS

with D being whatever drive your system assigned to the drive and hit enter, you will have to restart the pc for the drive to be converted but you should not lose any data on the drive and you should be able to access it in Win 2000.
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:26 PM

Thanks. Will look into trying this.
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
STOP!

Reformatting to NTFS will put at risk any chance of data recovery.

Windows 2000 can read FAT32 partitions just fine.

When you "upgraded" from 98 to 2000, was it an upgrade install or did you wipe 98 from the 13Gig?

From Win2k, right click "my computer" and select "manage"
Open the disk management and tell me what it shows for each disk.
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:36 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Why dont you add the 80GB hard drive to another pc and see if it picks up. If it does you can safely backup your data. If all else fails and you end up formating it; then download this program Recover My Files. (You have an option to get files back even after format.) Ive tried it and it did work to some extent.
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
STOP!

Reformatting to NTFS will put at risk any chance of data recovery.

Windows 2000 can read FAT32 partitions just fine.

When you "upgraded" from 98 to 2000, was it an upgrade install or did you wipe 98 from the 13Gig?

From Win2k, right click "my computer" and select "manage"
Open the disk management and tell me what it shows for each disk.
Sorry, been away. Will check tonight and get back to you. Thanks.

Chris
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:12 PM

It was an upgrade install on the 13 gb.

Each Disk shows the following:
Disk 0, Basic, C:, 12.68 gb, on line, FAT32 Healthy System, 26% free, Layout partition

Disk 1: Basic, D:, 154.20 gb, 5.44 gb unallocated, 79.69 gd healthy (active), 1.13 gb Healthy(active), 67.94gb unallocated, layout partition, D: no file system, 100% free

Hope this info is what you were asking about. Let me know how you think I should proceed.
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Disk 1: Basic, D:, 154.20 gb, 5.44 gb unallocated, 79.69 gd healthy (active), 1.13 gb Healthy(active), 67.94gb unallocated, layout partition, D: no file system, 100% free
As you can no doubt tell, your partition table on that drive is either corrupt or just not being read properly by W2k on the FAT32 drive.

Next diagnostic step would be to examine the disk from outside the Win2k environment. Thankfully, all you need to do this is a Win98 boot floppy and FDISK.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not make any changes, just examine.
Boot to floppy.
Type FDISK at the prompt.
Press Y to enable Large Disk support
Press 5 to change disks from 13Gig primary to 80 Gig Slave
Press 4 to display partition information.

What does that tell you?
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
Hi
Smurfy asked I try find a workable solution here.

I suspect that while you still had windows 98 and installed the large hard disk, that an overlay was installed.
Later on, you installed Windows 2000, and I suspect windows 2000 overwrote an important part of the EMBR and that the overlay (which is some translation type of software needed to make a large drive seen to a system that otherwise could not use it) got wiped.
The overlay would have resided on the old 13giga drive, because that was the active one before you added the 80giga.

Right now, I have NO clue about how to fix this from within windows 2000, because it was usually the other way..
XP (and I do recall an instance in win98) would see a FAT32 drive and the DOSprompt wouldn't.
I do recall one can make a floppy with overlay on it, without touching the hard drive.

I figure we have to google some.
Old March 21st, 2008, 03:15 AM

to identify an overlay is not going to be that easy?

ranish had part.exe which could read the types, and there is a list what mentions
54 Disk Manager 6.0 Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO)
55 EZ-Drive..
I just quoted from this old post.
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...13&postcount=8

I still don't know how to help fix this.
I would think there are ways if one has the hardware to do it with.

EDIT, useful LINKS.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partition...n_types-1.html

Last edited by jtdoom; March 21st, 2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: added links
Old March 21st, 2008, 05:21 AM

Thanks Jaak.
Hopefully the output of FDISK will confirm or deny the existence of the overlay.

I'm doing some digging at Microsoft TechNet and may be on to a possible solution...
Chris, do you know what brand the 80 Gig drive is (WesternDigital, Maxtor, Seagate etc)
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:15 AM

Hi
in windows 98 a DDO would install in EMBR but it would also install some things which showed in config.sys and autoexec.bat
The lines it added installed a choice menu so that a user could choose to first load DDO and then start from floppy.
If a user saw that menu for years, he would remember?
Win 2000 setup will have replaced the files.
That menu will not show now.

So, I want to ask wether COA recalls ever seeing a 'boot from floppy' menu when he started.
There is a caveat. The menu was sometimes killed or not even installed while the DDO was still used. The person installing that 80 Giga drive may remember how he did it. IF he had to use software to get it seen to full capacity, then we have good reason to think DDO was installed.
On the other hand, in my signature link I mention that puzzling tale where Win98 SAW the drive, and dosprompt didn't and Win98se saw it without DDO. Windows EBios handled that. DOS needed the overlay.
Windows 2000 Ebios is different.

yep, we need the model/brand of hard disks.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM

boot from floppy & use FDISK tells me-

Fixked disk- Drive #2
Partition=1, Status=blank, Type=Non-DOS, Volume Lable=blank, MB=blank, system=blank, usage= blank %

Partition=2, Status=blank, Type=Non-DOS, Volume Lable=blank, MB=1.52, system=blank, usage= 11%

Partition= D: 3, Status=blank, Type=PRI-DOS, Volume Lable=blank, MB=16,069, system=unknown, usage= 100%

Will check on drive manufacturer
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:26 PM

13gb is a Maxtor, 80gb is a segate baracuda