Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 Problem solving for the NT, Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012 Operating Systems

Topic Tools
Old May 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Question Suggestions Please to a dumba-- fireman

Hey CTH folks. I have a 3yr hppavilion 6835 30gig hd with I think 128 ram not sure about cpu.speed or size or whatever.
When I first started using this thing it would move from one application to the next pretty quick.I am on a dialup isp so I don't expect a lot speed doing downloads and stuff or any quick stuff off the net.
I believe I have used and abused the thing till I've got it so full of things that i don't want or know how to use and have it full of stuff in the wrong places or something, that it takes it a long time to get to what i want when i want to.
If yall ever saw any batman movies I think it was the Joker that said about Gotham City "What this town needs is a super enema" and so does this pooter.
My question to the learned folks at CTH can someone tell me step by step the first things i need to address that will help me get above a crawl when I'm trying to use this thing.Can I clean the reg manually,can I free up ram someway,ect.Does keeping old emails stored back slow down things will a large favorite list do it,what about updates downloaded can they be removed if they are installed,will adding games for my grandaughter to play slow it down?
I really don't have a clue where to start.Shoot I'm not even sure that I've made enough sence asking for help that anyone can understand what my problem is.
Anyway I don't often ask yall for help but in the past when I did, you all jumped out there with all kind of help suggesstions,and the things I was told to try most of the time fixed me right up.
I feel fairly comfortable that I'm not eat up with viruses or such, but who knows?
I d-frag the hd and when it's done it tells me I've only used 27% of the drive.It looks like to me I should be able to get a good many more miles out of this baby if I could get her tuned up. Can anyone help? And keep in mind I've had a little ole stroke that's got me running on the slow side too. Thank Yall if anyone might helpout a half senile old man get his groove thing back.
Thank You Again
Robin, Jackson Gap Al.
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy:

Okay, I noticed you posted this in the Win2003/Win2000 forum.. I assume that is the os you are using??

As for cleaning up, have you cleaned out your temp internet and temp files lately?? If not, you could always just run Disk Cleanup.. start it and go get yourself a coffee..

Making sure you have the latest drivers for your hardware and OS will help ..

Having your system checked and cleaned of malware, if necessary will go along ways..

Just some suggestions..

Murray
Old May 13th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Thank you for your suggestions,I run disk clean up about every three days or so.I don't think there is any malware hiding in there but I could be wrong.I use the MS malicious software tool on a regular basis.
Does anyone else have any ideas on maybe freeing up some memory useage?
Thanks in advance
Robin
Old May 13th, 2006, 03:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

Disk cleanup doesn't do anything as far as malware is concerned..

Go to the Cyber safety forum and check the sticky concerning a HiJackThis log..

Then, post a copy of that log in the Cyber Safety Forum..

Murray
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Thank You Murray for your reply.I went to the Cyber Safety forum and I'm not sure what sticky you refer to.There are a bunch that mention HT log.I wouldn't know how to post a copy of a log even if I could create one.Altough I've been a CTH member for quite a while, I'm not very good at understanding how to do the things that might be suggested by others so they can better help me.I guess you could say I'm still in the CTH beginners class.
Thank You Again
Robin
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

No problem..

THIS (<-- click here) is the one you need to read and it will explain what to do !!

Murray
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:41 PM

O/S: Windows 2000
I believe the most common cause of slowdowns is spyware. Have you run any spyware detection and removal programs on the system?