Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:15 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Norton Antivirus

I am having trouble with my Antivirus. I wanted to update it and run a virus scan and I can't. I have it on my desktop and when I double click on it, nothing happens. I went to control panel and tryed to remove it there and I can't, it won't. I have Windows 7 Home Premium Edition. I was reading and someone said I should download the Norton remove & reinstall tool, but I'm not sure if I should do this and some people were having trouble downloading this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old June 4th, 2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
but I'm not sure if I should do this
That really is your call. It seems for 20 years or more, Norton products have given us a hard time when we try to uninstall them. Frankly, that is one of 2 reasons I moved away from anything Norton/Symantec years ago. Bloat - hogging system resources (RAM, disk space, and CPU cycles) - is the other.

To be sure, in terms of protecting our systems, Norton AV is a good anti-malware program, but it tends to hog resources and "user friendly" it is not.

Plus, there are several free solutions that cost you nothing upfront, don't require regular and expensive renewal fees, and still protect your system.

If me, I would Uninstal Norton, reboot, then install one of capable free solutions. I use and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) as my "real-time" in-memory anti-malware program, along with Windows Firewall.

I would also use another anti-malware scanner for periodic "on-demand" supplemental scanning - just as a double check. I recommend Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) for that.

If you still want to keep Norton then I recommend you still uninstall it using that tool, reboot to clear any hooks, then reinstall it from their download page. But do NOT go wondering around the Internet without some anti-malware solution installed. Visit the applicable download page, setup your security, then surf.
Old June 4th, 2013, 07:12 PM

Smile

I thank you very much for the help. My anti-virus I was using expired and I had this one so I decided to use it. My wife's computer is using the same virus scanner as you, so I think I will uninstall Norton and put in Microsoft Security Essentials. I will also put in another anti-malware to use Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware, my wife has this one also.
I really appreciate the help and the quick response.
I have some computer knowledge but not to much and wasn't really sure what I should do.

Thanks again
pleespaul
Old June 4th, 2013, 08:10 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
mse and malwarebytes is a good combination.
Old June 4th, 2013, 08:55 PM

Thank you for responding. Someone else responded to my question already, and they suggested mse and malwarebytes also.
I am in the process of doing this.
Thank you again for the help.
pleespaul

Old June 4th, 2013, 10:12 PM

Thank you Digerati and to renegade600 for responding to my question. I just wanted to let both of you know that I was able to download and install MSE and Malwarebytes and I got rid of Norton's. These programs are both working fine now. I am now able to run a computer scan, thanks to your help.
Thanks again
Pleespaul

Old June 4th, 2013, 10:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
glad it worked for you and thanks for letting us know
Old June 7th, 2013, 02:01 PM

Great and thanks for the followup.