Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:06 PM

avast scanning error 42056

I ran a complete scan with my avast free anti virus program. At the end of scan ,there were no viruses, BUT several files could not be scanned. the error message was Error:Archive is password protected (42056). Also, I tried to select those files to move to chest. I could not select and apply at all. All of those filese are windows files. How can I fix this problem? Thanks in advance for any help to come.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:59 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95461.0

You can find the solution in avast forum.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:00 PM

Thank you for the reply. But my files are all windows files. But, I did very recently upgrade my flash player. Also, my avast free will not let me select any or all the files to move them to the chest. Nor will it let me highlight files to put in this message. I really don't know what to do.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Are you having any problems with your computer? Do you suspect that it is infected?

A normal scan does skip a few files, often ones that are associated with that scan, care to list the file name that are skipped, someone may know if you can ignore this of if they represent a threat.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:32 PM

C:\Kathy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\
All are mostly different windows "language files".

I have not been having any trouble with my computer at all. I did update one program and that was my flash player. I have not download anything at all.
And, as I stated before, Avast will not let me select any of these files to do anything with them. I can not even highlight the files to show you them.
So, now what can I do?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:39 PM

I have been to the forum, and that did not help. The posts there do not have windows files in the error messages. They have "temp" files, mine does not. This is why it concerns me so much. Could there be a virus causing all the windows files not to be scanned?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

You still have not named the files. That listing is a path to a folder.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:59 PM

C:\Kathy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\...>langu age.xml
C:\Kathy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\...>langu age-tr.xml

There are over 30 more files like this. I have no idea what they are. I don't have enough experience working with these kind of things.
I am trying to give you the info that you want
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:04 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ignore them, not a problem. Rest easy.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:44 AM

Thank you for taking your time and knowlege to help me. Have a great evening
Old March 23rd, 2013, 01:57 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
As NED said don't worry about them. As you guessed they are "language files". But computer language, they are Extensible Markup Language file.

A markup language is used to annotate text or add additional information. These annotations are not shown to the end-user, but are needed by the ‘machine’ to read and subsequently process the text correctly.

Think of them like a HTTP: that you use in your web browser. HyperText Markup Language). Websites are coded in HTML (and other programming languages), however, you (should) never see a trace of the code. What you do see is its interpretation by the browser, for example a certain font formatting, a table, or embedded images.

So to really answer your ? Just leave them alone, they won't bother your system or you.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 02:30 AM

ok, I really appreciate all the help you all are giving me. Now I think I can have some piece of mind about all of these crazy files that can not be scanned. It is really good to know that people out here in cyberspace have all the knowledge needed at times like this and share it with people like me who do not understand.
Thank you again.