Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:55 AM

W7 & hard drive error

Greetings to the Group - I recently had another hard drive added internally and I'm getting this constant error " the following hard disks are reporting failure. Disk Name SAMSUNG HD502HJ ATA Device". The disk is empty but I formatted it and ran check disk and everything is fine. I copied a test file, video file, and the drive is fine, the file is there and plays normal. There is absolutely nothing odd with the drive in copying to and from it, or reading files. The tech did unplug the case fan because he needed that plug for the hard drive. Therefore the fan is not used. I don't need the fan as this pc is in a constant air conditioned room as we live in the Philippines and the pc doesn't get warm at all. So what is the problem with it as I get this error constantly and when I just cancel it, it comes back shortly. The error offers to back up what's on the drive, but there isn't anything anyway. I wonder if the problem might be something to do with the wiring harness or the plug that was used for the hard drive. The system is a new W7 Basic pc with a couple of other hard drives. I don't see a place to attach my sys info.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Jim
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:30 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
1. The tech did unplug the case fan because he needed that plug for the hard drive. So he must of used the white MOLEX connected to the fan to power the drive, as the drive is a ATA drive?

2. Even though it is working, the message your getting does mean something; I would run a diagnostic on the drive using Seagate/Samsung tools;

1st I see there is a firmware update for that drive:

HERE

Diagnostic Software HERE
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:56 PM

Hey Murf,

Thanks for your input. I did discover seatools by Seagate and ran it. The hd failed one of the tests, so my tech sent it back for exchange. So problem solved.

Jim
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:08 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Thanks for letting us know, new drives can go bad. WD stands behind theres.