Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:57 AM

CPU Usage All Of A Sudden Too High

I have Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 will all updates
3.4GHz P4 CPU
6 GB of RAM

My PC even with about 90 processes used to idle at 0% - 15% CPU usage before the day that Anonomous hacked the net... Now my system idles anything from 45% - 78% CPU usage adn about half the ram.. I have scanned with Avast, Malwarebytes, eScan's MWAV eScan Antivirus Toolkit and have found nothing, but the CPU usage is off the clock.. I disable a lot of things and still nothing.. It went down the other day to almost normal, but constantly busy with a large RAM load and now it is back to obscene levels... Please what do I do to get rid of this monster consumer?

Addendum>>

I Thiiiiink I found it, but would love some additional checks and balances made and observed just to be certian.. There was evidentally a nasty rootkit in a hidden partition on the main drive one of the TDLFS type. The Kaspersky TDSSKiller found it..

Here is the link for the tool I used> http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363

CPU usage is still very high though.

Last edited by Zantharas; February 6th, 2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Addendum to information
Old February 6th, 2012, 03:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Try clean booting your system (see here, Step 1: Perform a clean boot). Make sure you dont download anything or surf to dodgy sites while you are running in this state because your antivirus will be disabled. Did you notice any difference?

If so, that suggests one of your third party startups is causing the problem. Try the troubleshooting steps now to find out which one it is. It is a bit tedious but quite effective in isolating the troublesome software. Once you find which program is responsible, uninstall it and reboot. You will need to contact their support if reinstalling the software doesnt resolve the issue.