Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 12th, 2003, 02:10 PM

Dialup Modem Speed

I recently replaced HD and installed Win 2k, all other hardware remained. It would appear that the modem speed is slower that other configuration which had Win 98. The dialup modem is US robotics PCI. How do I troubleshoot? Thanks.
Old July 19th, 2003, 04:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
go into the control panel and look at the modem properties, make sure its set to the speed of 56700 or summit
Old July 19th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
hi

when you scroll the available speed options for the comm-port, make that 115200 or even double that...
all modern chipsets can pump data to a commport at that speed...

yup, the speed setting limits the data pumped to the modem, w/i not exacltly same as setting the speed the modem can pump.
(when you create a bottleneck in the datastream it can compress before it sends its packets, you can only get so much... a modems does some compression before it sends data, and txt can compress as high as 8/1

a highly compressed zip will show you close to real throughput...
you see, with modem hardware doing the compression, a zipfile can actually get sent (marginally) slower than an uncompressed file.
(because the modem hardware tries, and finds it cannot compress it any further?)
Old July 20th, 2003, 03:40 AM

Greetings!

Here are some tweaks that may help!

First, modems have a relatively small onboard cache and data buffer; this will allow you modem to have access to your RAM during moments of high modem activity. Open the start menu, click on run, and then enter "sysedit".

Go into the System.ini file, and locate [386Enh].

If your modem is on Com 1, on the line directly below the [386Enh] add this:
Com1Irq4Buffer=1024

If your modem is on Com 2, on the line directly below the [386Enh] add this:
Com2Irq3Buffer=1024

If your modem is on Com 3, on the line directly below the [386Enh] add this:
Com3Irq4Buffer=1024

If your modem is on Com 4, on the line directly below the [386Enh] add this:
Com4Irq3Buffer=1024

====================================

Next, try these for improved performance! These tweaks and tips should make a huge difference.

A. Here's a neat way of speeding things up without buying one of those utilities that will do it for US$40 or more. It's my favorite tweak! You will notice the difference!!

First, backup the registry as a precaution (see instructions at bottom).

In Windows 9.x/2K/XP
1. Open Regedit (Start-->Run--> and type 'regedit' [without quotes] )

2. Navigate to the following folder:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\InternetSettings

4. Create the following "DWORD" (if the following does not exist already):
MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server

5.Set the value to any high number as well (the default is 4); suggest 10.

6. Create the following "DWORD" (if the following does not exist already):
MaxConnectionsPerServer

7. Set the value to any high number (the default is 2); suggest 8.

My Simple Analogy: if you are trying to get a gallon of water through a small pipe, it will take a lot of time. However, if you have several pipes, then you will get more water - much faster. You will be amazed!!! You can experiment with different values. More explanation: See
http://support.microsoft.com/support...&SA=ALLKB&FR=0

B. Set max modem speed.
As recommended by Jaak . . . Check Control Panel | Modems and look under Properties to make sure it is set maximum (115,200 or higher).

C1. Getting ready to optimize the modem connection.
I would also recommend getting the following - in fact, this is an absolute necessity because your DUN (cable, etc.) and modem connections have to be optimized:

EasyMTU. It's FREE. Get it here: http://members.tripod.com/~EasyMTU/

IMHO, this is better than 'blind' hidden changes made by some utilities for which you pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!

Reason . . . back to my simple analogy: if you have several pipes and they have the valve half-way open then you may get more water than before, but it's not the maximum. These settings opens the valves of your DUN (or cable, etc.) and modem. :-)

In summary, add more pipes (the registry tweaks you did earlier) and open the valves (optimize modem with EasyMTU) and you should have things flowing rather well!! In my case, my ISP uses maxmtu of 1500, so I use 1500. However, instead of 'guessing,' you can quickly determine the best value for maxmtu this way -

C2. How to find exact values for MTU and MaxMTU.
Here's how to find your MaxMTU value:

To test maxMTU we will use the ping command at dos prompt.
START > PROGRAMS > MSDOS PROMPT. The format for the ping command is as follows:
ping -f -l MTU# host [where MTU# is value YOU enter - in example below I used 1472]
-f tells the PC not to fragment the packet in order to find out the real MTU.
-l switch (l as in larry) tells it how big of a packet size to send.

MTU# is the size of the packet. NOTE: There is a difference between MTU and MaxMTU. I used 1472 for MTU value (This is how you calculate the value: MaxMTU = MTU + 28 = 1500). Other common value for MTU: 548 (MaxMTU=576).

Host is the computer you want to ping. If you are finding MTU for network then the host is the IP for the computer. If you are finding the MTU for the Internet then the host should be your ISP. You may want to see how you do with other sites as well. I recommend using the one that matches your ISP.

So, here's an example on how to check:

You can do this in Windows . . . Go to DOS (Start | Programs | MS DOS Prompt). You should be in C: drive and see a prompt that looks something like this: C:\

Now after the C:\ prompt type: ping -f -l 1472 www.myhomeISP.com [of course, you would type your isp url here]

The line will look something like this: C:\ ping -f -l 1472 www.myhomeISP.com
Watch out, that's an "l" as in larry!
Press Enter and you will see something like this:
--------------------------
Pinging www.myhomeISP.com [320.33.346.276] with 1472 bytes of data:

Reply from 320.33.346.276: bytes-1472 time 372ms TTL=253
Reply from 320.33.346.276: bytes-1472 time 361ms TTL=253
Reply from 320.33.346.276: bytes-1472 time 342ms TTL=253
Reply from 320.33.346.276: bytes-1472 time 360ms TTL=253

Ping statistics for 320.33.346.276:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in mili-seconds:
Minimum = 342ms, Maximum = 372ms, Average = 358ms
--------------------------

The thing we are looking for is Lost = 0 (0% loss). So, this indicates a MaxMTU value of 1500 (1472 + 28).

If you choose the wrong value you will see that you will have packet losses!!

D. Checking how packets travel.
An additional tool that is useful is NeoTrace Pro (the very best) which will give you detail info on how packets travel through various nodes, etc. and if you have any losses. NeoTrace is at http://www.neoworx.com/. You can get a very good freebie - AnalogX's HyperTrace at www.analogx.com.

E. An easy way to make the registry changes mentioned above is to use the FREE CableNut Tweaker. You can also backup the registry with CableNut Tweaker. http://www.cablenut.com/

====================================

I have USR modem also: USR 56K Voice INT PnP hardware modem. I live in the country about 5 miles from the telephone company. I connect regularly at 48,000 and 49,333bps. Here is the initialization string I use: &U32&N0S32=34S11=100S10=100&D2S25=200&a3

You may want to try it. Go to Control Panel-Modem. General tab-Properties-Connection-Advanced and the above in Extra Settings. Save. Reboot.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Here's what the USR Modem initialization settings mean:

&U32 - CONNECT AT 48K MIN

&N0 - Connect speed is determined by remote modem. &U32 determines floor connect speed; &N0 sets the ceiling connect speed as determined by remote modem.

S32=34 - disable x2 and leave you with V.90. Sometimes there's an problem during the negotiation where these two interfere with each other.

S10=100 - increases the lost carrier hang up delay. Default is14. Sets duration, in tenths of a second, that modem waits to hang up after loss of carrier. This guard time allows your modem to distinguish a line disturbance from a true disconnect (hang up) by the remote modem. Note: If you set S10 = 255, the modem will not hang up when carrier is lost. Dropping DTR hangs up the modem.

S11=100 - Default is 70. Sets duration and spacing, in milliseconds, for tone dialing.

&D2 - Normal DTR operations

S25=200 - increases the length of time that the modem will ignore the DTR signal before it takes actions specified by other portions of the init (usually follows the &Dn command, which is normally set to disconnect if the DTR signal is lost from detection). Default is 20. Sets duration, in hundredths of a second, of a true DTR drop. Prevents modem from interpreting random glitches as DTR loss. (Most users will use the default; this register is useful for compatibility with older systems and operating software.)

&a3 - SHOW TRUE CONNECT SPEED (your modem may show true connect speed by default; in that case, do not include &a3 in the string.

---------------------------------------------------------------

You're all set! Now go do some high-speed, screaming surfin'!! Let me know how things work out!

Finally, as they say, no guarantees, promises, etc. You assume all risks.

========================================
How to make a backup of the Windows registry

Not difficult at all. However, you may find CableNut Tweaker easier to use.

1. If you have not already done so, click Start, and click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
2. Type regedit and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
3. Scroll to the top if necessary, and select My Computer at the top of the left pane.
4. Click Registry, and then click Export Registry File.
5. Follow the instructions for your operating system:
Windows 95/98/NT/2K/XP
a. Change "Save in" to Desktop or to folder of your choice.
b. In the File name box, enter a name that you will remember, such as registrybackup.
c. Click Save. The file is saved to your Windows desktop - or to the folder of your choice.

CAUTION: Do not double-click the backup file (it will have .reg extension) that was placed on the Windows desktop - or your folder of choice - unless you need to undo the changes that you made to the registry. You may want to delete the backup file after a week or so when you are sure that the changes that you made have not caused any problems.

There you are. TaDaaaa!

Good Luck!

Janusz
Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone.