Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:48 AM

Question flash9f.ocx error/crash

Hi to all;
I run XP, IE7, 10Gig HD, 256RAM, no special programs. I recently decided to uninstall Adobe 9 and Adobe Air. Most of it refused to be uninstalled from the Control Panel. Adobe 9 went but Air hung on and I finally ended up having to manually delete from Right click Start>explore>Programs (Not the start programs--the other one)>Adobe and Adobe Air. Adobe does not provide an 'uninstall' capability. But, even before I uninstalled Adobe and its bloatware program, I was receiving shutdown errors due to Adobe's flash9f.ocx. I went to Adobe's Macromedia site and a great many people are having trouble with this flash problem. I ran 'search' on my PC and it found 2 files: Flash and a copy of it, both in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromedia\Flash. I do not know if I even need this Macromedia program or what it does and if I do not need it, can I unstall it. Or, in the alternative, if I do need the program, can I delete the flash9f.ocx file and not disrupt my PC? Is there any way to just stop receiving these shutdowns. I recently replaced one of my RAM cards because I was constantly receiving BSODs. That stopped them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Tony
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
You can uninstall all signs of flash but it is used on a lot of web sites so you may want to install it later. Double click on my computer & then right click on your c drive. Go to properties & see how much free space you have left on that 10G drive..
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:49 PM

Thank you w1che:
I have Used: 5.77 Gigs and unused: 4.29 Gigs
If it would be better not to uninstall it, and chances are I would need it, I guess I will let it alone. It does not cause trouble except very seldom when I happen to visit site where it has some sort of conflict and shuts me down back to the desk top. I think it is left over as a remanent from when I uninstalled Adobe 9 (204MB) worth of reclaimed space. I do not do a lot of PDF stuff anyway but I will find another much smaller PDF reader just in case I do need it. I sometimes write and apply for US grants and it is a necessity there.
Thanks again,
Tony
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:02 PM

You can download FoxitReader here :
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/
Small and fast.

mickzer.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM

Smile Foxit

Thank you Mickzer for your reply and infomation. I did that last night and I am not sure what happened but I almost was not able to get back on the PC. Somehow it locked everything up and required several manual restarts before I could limp back to the Control Panel. One I was able to get there, I uninstalled. It looks like an ideal program and just what I need but I was scared away. Bad install? Who knows, but I do see that it is used by quite a number of people and so I attribute my problems to something I did wrong. I had just uninstalled Adobe 9 and that was a REAL pain in the butt since they do not supply an 'uninstall' button. I did it from the add/remove and it left behind 85.5 MB of stuff that did not show up except in HJT and Windows Install Cleanup menus. I eventually had to manually delete the 165 files and 60 folders from the explore>programs>adobe tree. So, I was a little skittish about getting back into something that I probably downloaded wrong. I wil try it again and see if it works. Hope so.
Thank you again,
Tony
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:26 PM

Download Revouninstaller from here:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

It should remove any pieces left over.

Or try ccleaner from www.ccleaner.com

mickzer.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:31 PM

I will do that. I guess that it is a big and common problem that bits and pieces of stuff is left over after uninstalling stuff. I assume that these just sort of hang around and, if nothing else, cause problems somewhere down the line. But, a program such as one of these can most certinly come in handy. Thank you again for your time and information.
Tony
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:18 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
It seems your flash player is corrupt. You shouldn't be having any problems with it at all. Go here & download the flash player uninstaller for windows.. http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=tn_14157

If you want it back go here & install it again.. http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:34 AM

Thank you!!! I will do that.
Tony