Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:30 AM

Unhappy Xp gets BSOD when booting

windows Xp gets to splash screen then on third pass of progress bar, gets a BSOD then reboots. Screen is too quick to read and I tired to hit pause button but can't stop reboot. I can go into safe mode and tried different options in Msconfig to no avail. I checked event viewer and it seemed that "yop" caused an error which I think is a Yahoo program. I can't see how that would cause my problem. I'm at a loss as what to do next.

I have a dual Xeon workstaton with 2Gig Ram, Intel board XP Pro sp2

Appreciate any input
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:15 AM

When you hit F8 to get to safe mode, if one of the other choices besides safe mode should be 'last known good configuration'. Try that.
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:57 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I think you can do this in safe mode..

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

You should then be able to read your error code on reboot..
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the quick response

Rockpig,
I'm sorry I didn't mention that that was my first action, then when that didn't work I went into safemode and tried a revert to saved point which didn't work either.

w1che, Thanks I forgot about that, and it did work and I investigated and took care of the problem -- IDEChnDr.sys which is intel's application accelerator program. I reloaded fromthe MB driver disk and all taken care of.

again thanks guys !!
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:11 PM

Glad you got...
Old January 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM

Seems I spoke too soon, after a subsequent reboot, the same problem popped up. This time same message but different memory address, need to run a memory check to see if that is the root cause, and/or run a disk scan
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM

update:

Still trying, on another site, someone suggested using a HDD software analyser on the harddisk, it had found errors that WinXP didn't find and after it fixed them; everything was OK. Me and my Hitachi Deskstar HDD> not so good.
Someone also mentioned that their same problem was caused by a driver not signing out and system was shut down causing a missing flag. That could possibly be my problem, I noticed my ISP sign in screen seemed to hang and I tried to exit the program which didn't respond to anything and I restarted windows when this whole thing happened. I'm going to try a windows repair but I don't expect much. I am probably going to end up reinstalling XP. I did notice that the Driver_IRQL_not_Less_or_equal error message seemed to be about Win2K more than XP

This person who reinstalled windows found that after a reboot, he still ended up with the same problem, that worrries me.
The thing is, I haven't added any new software for sometime, and that is what is suggested in the error message, so all there could be to that is an update
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM

If the Hitachi HDD software analyser found problems your Harddrive may be going bad. Back up everything you want to keep ASAP & then try reinstall of windows.. By the way are getting the same error you were getting before or is it a different one each time?
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:11 PM

Actually, what I meant was that wasn't the problem, I'm more hardware oriented than software oriented. I was hoping it might find some bad sectors that could be blocked off.
I already backed up the drive, I have a USB drive enclosure and I stuck it in and copied what I wanted to save over to my other computer.

I have done a Windows repair and (Knock on Wodd) things might be OK now, it did crash but it did a memory dump and when it rebboted, it seemed to work and I sent off to microsoft the error and it came back with the problem as AntiVirus application problems so I was relieved, I then reloaded the SP2 and I'm about to try reloading the intel application accelerator and hopefully no more problems.
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:50 AM

Good I Hope you've got it this time...