Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 2nd, 2007, 12:48 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Windows Explorer and Folder shortcuts open to "my documents" and not the folder

Prior to a few weeks back where I made added a function to the folder file type, it didn't matter if I doubled clicked on a file folder on either the left hand pane or the right hand pane of Windows Explorer, Folder View. Either way opened the folder and displayed in the contents in the right hand pane.

Since I made the change below however, if I click on a folder in the left hand "Folders" pane, it works as before and opens the folder and displayed in the contents in the right hand pane.

However, if I click on any folders in the right hand (files pane) a new windows explorer window opens a displays the "my documents".

This is driving me nuts. The same thing happens if you click on a shortcut to a folder. Instead of the folder opening, it opens a new window and displays "my documents".

This problems started when I added a new function to the folder file folder file type properties to print out the contents of a folder by calling a batch file that piped the content to a file.

In the file association for file folders in the advanced section I now have three functions
- the afore mentioned 'create file list'
- explore (the default), and
- find

For the folder file type I just have:
- explore and
- open

Any suggestions on how to put things back to the way Windows Explorer always worked before make clicking folders in the right hand pane open them up properly in the same window as per clicking them on the left hand pane?
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Sxerfg and welcome to CTH. Go here and download the Folder Association Fix (Restore default associations for File Folders). Follow the instructions on the page and reboot afterwards. Did this help?