Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:28 PM

starting up windows xp

My husbands laptop was pre-set sothat when you started it up it went straight to log in details for him. I tried to reinstall windows xp and it came up with an error so i stopped and did not continue with it. now when i turn on the computer it shows the hp invent and intel etc. and you have to clickon windows xp home to get to log in. does anyone know how i can bypass the first bit to go straight to the log in as it used to be.
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:43 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Let me make sure I'm uderstanding you. You got an error, deciding the reinstall windows xp onto his computer, but got an error while doing it. Canceled the reinstalltion and took out the CD. You tried to load the computer back up, but now it goes back to the installtion screen and wont let you log back into the desktop like it did before you put the CD in?

If this is so, the reason is, is because you put the reinstion cd in, reinstalling means it basicly going to format the computer and reinstall windows, so it's probably still in that boot mode for reinstalling. Your going to have to put the cd back in and reinstall windows.
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:51 PM

starting up windows xp

what happened was i could not find anything relating to windows xp for my son to do some homework on. i thought i would install the xp again and found the cd that came with the machine. when i went to install it, i putin security code etc. and then it came up with something about partitions and that i could lose data. as this compute is for my husbands business and had his accounts on it etc. i thought it best not to continue. I therefore option to discontinue wth the installation and pressed the necessary key. when you now turn on the computer it comes up with HP Invent and then you get a screen which shows Windows XP Home or Windows set up. You have to clickon Windows XP and then it goes to the screen which shows my husbands name and you click on that for him to log on and it comes up with his personal settings. What i want to do is to go backto when I turn on the computer it goes straight to this and not having to clickon Windows XP.
Old September 12th, 2006, 05:37 PM

So you just want it to go straight to the desktop, when you start up the computer and not have to click on anything? Or do you still want to click on your husbands screen name?

What did you son have to do for homework? Windows XP, is just an operating system for the computer.
Old September 12th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Here's some links that I found of someone else who had a similiar issue
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1081108861
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:43 AM

starting up windows xp

thanks for your reply. yes i still want to go to the log in stage before it goes to the desk top. thanks also for the link.
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Hmmm. Well hopefully the link will be of help to you. I have never heard of this problem before, but someone else on here may know what to do.
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:39 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
i think wolf is on the right track. i have had this happen to me, when my son tried to install xp, and aborted the install. the link seems to say the same thing that we had to do.