Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 17th, 2020, 12:19 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Unhappy Issue With Dual Layer DVD

I'm running Pinnacle Studio 22 (DVD video creating program) on a Windows 10 Dell Inspiron. I have made numerous movie DVDs with 4.8 GB capacity which is good for about an hour of video at 100% best quality. I have something that is about 90 minutes long that won't fit on a 4.8 GB unless I settle for about 75% quality.

I would like to use a dual layer DVD+R with 8.5 GB capacity to get me to the 100% quality level. I created the DVD, but it won't play on a Sony Blu-Ray. It doesn't like the format. Looking at the disc I see a VIDEO_TS folder with various files with BUP, IFO, and VOB file extensions, which I have no idea what they are.

There's a video option in Pinnacle that I have always had set on "auto detect", but I see there are a number of other options I could choose: 4 PAL and 4 NTSC options, 2 standard and 2 widescreen options each. (My video came from a VHS 4.3 ratio).

There is also an Image Format option of Folder (VIDEO_TS) which is what I got or ISO File which seems more like a system OS format.

I read somewhere that a Blu-Ray player should be able to read a dual layer DVD. Mine is a +R. I did read something that said it has to be -R but it was a very old posting from years ago so I don't know if that would still be an issue today. I would hope that Blu-Ray players could handle - or + R.

If anyone have any suggestions for me I would appreciate them. Thanks in advance.
Old June 17th, 2020, 07:54 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Players need to specifically state they support dual layer and +R. No not all BluRay players handle dual layer or +R or -R. Sony, owning the technology for BluRay as well as being a movie studio, often does things to make their physical products NOT universal --- i.e. Cinemania, etc.
Old June 18th, 2020, 03:22 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Thanks for your input. I did find something in my Sony manual that does say DVD+R and DVD-R DL discs are playable, so I guess I need to find from a Pinnacle Studio export what settings I missed in generating my DL DVD.