Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 11th, 2005, 05:12 AM

Unhappy win98 startup screen switches to DOS prompt

Hi --
I just got an old HP to run games on. I installed win98 from boot disk. After finishing that, I rebooted w/out disk. Starts up, goes to startup screen for a millisecond and immediately switches to DOS command prompt (C drive).
Any suggestions on how to get it to run correctly?
I want to get this running so my young grandson can play his games without messing up my "good" computer.
Thanks!
Old June 11th, 2005, 11:48 AM

run the boot disk without cdrom support. then when the screen displays A:\ type sys C: (assuming that C: is your hard drive)
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornholio_666
run the boot disk without cdrom support. then when the screen displays A:\ type sys C: (assuming that C: is your hard drive)
Thanks for the help.
OK, I did that. It then said "System Transferred" and went back to A prompt. I couldn't get out of there with quit or run or ESC, so I just shut off the computer.
Started it up again, with no boot disk or CD-ROM in the drives and got the message "Operating system not found".
What's next to try?
Old June 11th, 2005, 08:24 PM

is your hard drive set as the first boot device in the bios?
Old June 12th, 2005, 12:29 AM

BIOS is the setup, right? When I go to the security tab, I can choose start-up options. The hard drive, CD-ROM and disk drive are all listed, but all I can do is set them Yes or No to be accessible during boot-up. I tried it with all 3 enabled, then just the hard drive. Same thing happens.
Oh, and when the DOS prompt comes up after popping out of the Win98 setup screen, it goes to C: rather than A:
Old June 12th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturtle
I installed win98 from boot disk. After finishing that, I rebooted w/out disk. Starts up, goes to startup screen for a millisecond and immediately switches to DOS command prompt (C drive).
Excuse me for asking but did you actually install Win98 from the CD? Did you mean to say Restore Disk? The boot disk is not the OS but only installs some DOS commands and drivers so you can proceed with the setup.
Old June 12th, 2005, 02:44 AM

OH --Maybe that's why it's not working. The CD I have is actually one that someone else used for their computer. We just moved and SOMEWHERE in the house is a CD to install Windows 98SE, complete with product code, etc. Is that what I need to find? If so, what do I do with it when I find it?

What exactly do you mean by "proceed with the setup"?
Thanks!
Old June 12th, 2005, 03:31 AM

You can read thru the install tutorial here...

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tu...rial.php/id/39

If you have any questions just ask and someone will help you get thru it.
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:22 AM

Thanks! I have read through that tutorial. I finally came to the conclusion that maybe I DON'T have a boot disk after all or something is wrong with it. So I went to Bootdisk.com (on my other computer) and downloaded Windows 98 SE OEM. Saved it to my desktop, then copied to a new floppy. Inserted it in the old computer. Message I got was: "Invalid system disk. Remove and hit any key."
So I am still not having any success here. Suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm so glad there are younger folks out there who can work with this stuff. At 57, I have only limited knowledge and most of that is with software not the other stuff.
Thanks!

Old June 12th, 2005, 05:15 AM

You can't just copy it to the floppy to make a bootdisk. Put a formatted blank floppy in your A drive. Doubleclick and run the bootdisk exe that you downloaded to your desktop. It will make a bootable floppy.
Old June 12th, 2005, 08:36 PM

Thanks, Rockboy. I made the floppy like you described and then followed the directions in the tutorial. It gets to the point where it says "diagnostic tools wee successfully installed to Drive D" so I typed D:, then hit enter, then typed setup. Got message bad command. Tried with C, E, and A with the same results.
Now what?
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:04 PM

try f:\setup.exe because the ramdrive pushes back the cd/dvd drive back 1 letter
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:13 PM

Tried that, corn, and got message "invalid drive". So I tried \setup.exe after D: and E:, and got the bad command thing again. Any other suggestions?
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:29 PM

try typing dir X: (where the X is change between every letter until you get the directory of the windows cd) then when you find the directory of the windows cd run the setup file
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:19 AM

OK, I did that. Here's what I got.

D:Volume in drive D is MS-RAMDRIVE

E:Volume in drive E is STAFF
Directory of E
DRIVERS <DIR> 12-14-99 4:48PM
EXPLORER
EXTRAS
NETSCAPE
WIN95A
WIN95B
WIN98
0 files 0 bytes
7 dir(s) 0 bytes available

So I opened the WIN98 file on the CD and there were all kinds of files there, including OEMsetup, BUT they are all set to read only and it won't allow me access to change that setting.