Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 28th, 2004, 10:07 AM

Question New HP machine with winXP wont open exe or setup files

I have a new HP machine running winXP home. AMD Athlon3000+, 512M - trying to install a new linksys wireless USB adapter ver2.6 and when I insert the CD it will not autorun. I have tried right clicking the CD and choosing autoplay, a window pops up for a portion of a second and then closes. Same thing happens if you try to run or open the setup file. I have also tried downloading the drivers from the linksys website and the same thing happens. This same CD runs fine on another XP system. I cannot get any of the setup files for the linksys adapter to run. I have also tried updating the drivers from device manager and it cannot find the drivers from there either. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this on a brand new machine that has never been connected to the internet? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old December 29th, 2004, 07:47 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Is it only with that cd? Try another cd and see if the drive is okay. If other cds have the problem you may want to contact hp since the computer is still under warranty and if nothing else get the problem on record.