Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Intermittent internet connection

Hi. Thank you for letting this newbie join and for taking the time to read my story and possibly offer me some suggestions. I am very grateful for this and thank you again.

We have a Netgear Rangemax Wireless Modem Router DG834PN. We use Norton Internet Security 2008. We are with PlusNet as the broadband provider. We are running Windows XP home edition with service pack 2. The pc is connected to the router via the Ethernet port.

We were previously with Talk Talk (Cancelled 27th May) in a LLU bundle deal for phone and Internet but got out within the 30 day trial period. We were with Orange broadband for over 2 years prior to going with Talk Talk (unbeknown to me-I didn’t sort that bill out!, we hadn’t actually cancelled with Orange, but were still paying them even though Talk Talk took the line from them, and so cancelled with Orange officially on 30th May while still with Talk Talk) this year. As we were in a bundle deal, we had to have our phone line changed from LLU back to a standard BT line. This went through on June 11th. We started with PlusNet officially on June 18th.

We had no real problems until 18th July when the ADSL ‘chain’ link on the router (as was my understanding the broadband supply) went off permanently. I rang PlusNet and the Tech support guy was very helpful; unbelievably, Orange had stolen our broadband line back (this was confirmed by adviser with BT wholesale). I rang Orange who apologised, and said they don’t know how, but, yes indeed, they had temporarily taken the line back (even though as I say, we weren’t actually getting any ADSL supply to the router). They said all records of us would be out of their system by midnight that night and so we shouldn’t have any further problems. I then argued and managed to get a MAC code from them. So I rang back PlusNet and they started the migration process (even though we were with PlusNet, but this had to be done as for some inexplicable reason-I established it was NOT financial-i.e., due to unpaid bills with Orange, just a fault on their part).

The process took a full week. The Broadband started again on 25th July. However, since then, there have been enormous problems. Basically, the ADSL ‘Chain’ link keeps going off, or if it’s on the internet would be ridiculously slow or ‘cannot connect to server’. It would then be fine and then repeat the process. This has gotten worse and worse. We tried several things-making sure the connection was no more than 10m from the main BT input to the house, re-setting the router (and trying a Friend’s router that is the exact same model), changing the filter box, turning off the firewall, intrusion prevention, spyware etc etc on the Norton Anti-virus. Nothing helps. You can get it to work again for a bit by switching the router on or off again, then after maybe 2 mins, the ADSL chain link eventually comes back on. Then the slowness, unable to connect, ADSL chain link disappearing happens again. Switching the computer on and off did sometimes help, but not now.

So I have contacted PlusNet again. They did Broadband line checks yesterday. The results of which were ‘inconclusive’. But Tech Support have told me I can do little more my end and that there appears to be a fault on the line and they are ‘liaising with BT’ (who own PlusNet I’m told-and so they may get things sorted quicker PlusNet said). I have been told today that they don’t know what the fault is, but that it can take from 5 working days-3 weeks to sort out and that they have raised this again now with their faults team. They said not to switch the computer or router off while they are testing things so I didn’t yesterday. The ADSL ‘chain’ link was permanently off, more or less, since then. However, by switching the router off now and back on again (he said it was OK to do this quickly before tests started again), the ADSL link is back on . This seems to happen most if not everytime: if I switch the router off then on, the ADSL link takes approx 2 mins to come back on, but when it does, the internet seems to be fine for a bit, before it all happens again.

Even PlusNet agree that it seems too much of a coincidence for there not to have been any problems prior to the line been taken away by Orange, then loads of problems since re-connecting with PlusNet. PlusNet have also said it isn’t a problem our end. Has anyone else had similar experiences, or can anyone shed any light on this? Offer suggestions etc? Even PlusNet agree that it seems too much of a coincidence for there not to have been any problems prior to the line been taken away by Orange, then loads of problems since re-connecting with PlusNet. PlusNet have also said it isn’t a problem our end. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my story! Apologies for how long it is; I am a newbie and not that technical (as you will no doubt tell :o)). Any help at all is appreciated. Thank you again for reading/listening.
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana76 View Post
But Tech Support have told me I can do little more my end and that there appears to be a fault on the line and they are ‘liaising with BT’ (who own PlusNet I’m told-and so they may get things sorted quicker PlusNet said).
There is your clue, there is not much you can do as there appears to be a fault on your line. Until BT fix it the problem will remain. Also Plusnet are not owned by BT Wholesale, who own the line from your exchange, they are owned by BT Retail so they cannot speed up the process, whoever told you that was lying or is misinformed.

All you can do is wait, I would make sure you have raised a ticket on the Plusnet website to technical support to make sure the fault resolution is progressing.
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Thanks-Update

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I was told by PlusNet that the problem was solved, only for it to reurn Monday Evening. At this time I rang my friend (who has exact same router, the one I used to check things). We both switched routers off and on at same time. His ADSL chain link light came on after 10 secs. Mine after 1min 30 secs.

Today the internet seems fine (but this has happened before) and I got an automated message from plusNet saying that they have now closed this ticket/problem from their end. So i guess it is a case of monitoring things over the next few days.

Thank you again