Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:41 PM

boot

I have an acer aspireone with xp originally installed on it. One day I got an error message and it no longer started up. I installed the acer aspirone one linx operating system on it but I don't like it and don't know how to use it well. I tried installing xp from recovery cd's provided by acer but the comp wouldn't read the usb-cd drive after I tried to boot from it. I looked online on how to delete the partitions and install xp again. However, now it won't even start in acer op (linux) and I get "error 22" message when i start the computer up. It doesn't even go past this message and won't boot from my usb cd drive nor my usb external harddrive.

What can I do???? to make it boot from the usb cd drive with the recovery xp cd. Thanks!!
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:31 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
First, you need to determine if the hard drive is OK. You can do that by removing the drive and hooking up to another computer(if possible)If the drive is good, try entering the BIOS(setup)by hitting the F2 key repeatedly during boot(if the Acer is fairly new)or ctrl/alt/del keys if it's an older model. It may take more that one try to get it during boot. Once in the BIOS see if you can change the boot sequence to boot from the CD-ROM drive first, then the hard drive. If you can get it to boot from the CD drive you may be able to reformat the drive and reinstall Windows XP. I'm assuming you have the XP disk, because the recovery partition is most likely toast by now.

Error 22: Is actually a GRUB error(GRUB is your boot loader)Here's how to fix it if you want to get back into Linux. You'll need a Ubuntu Live CD to do it. You can get one by downloading Ubuntu then burning an ISO disk.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Good luck with this one.