Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 31st, 2005, 12:00 AM

New video card won't work with Windows 98

Just installed a new video card (see system specs below) and it works fine in Windows 2000. In W98 I can boot up fine, install drivers fine, but when I reboot it get an error message - "There is a probelm with your display settings. The adapter type is incorrect or the current settings do not work with your hardware."

After clicking OK, the computer goes to a blank screen. Upon rebooting, I either hang up during boot or get the same message. Viscious cycle. I have downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia and still have the same problem.

Any ideas?

P4 1.6, Leadtek WinFast A180B T128 AGP video card, 512 mb DDR Ram, VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller, NEC 1100A DVD+R/RW, Sony CDRW 48x-24x-48x, 60 gig Maxtor HD, 80 gig Maxtor HD, Netgear FA310TX nic, Win98SE and W2000 Pro dual boot.
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:26 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Did you change your display adapter to standard vga and then remove all old video drivers before shuttong down, physically installing the new card and then rebooting and installing new drivers? Boy, I said all of that in one sentence!
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:31 AM

Yep. I did all of that. About 6 times now.
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:58 PM

I reinstalled the drivers from the CD and the computer will boot up, but I can't change resolution.

Every time I try to change colors from 16 to 16 bit or res to 1024 x 768, the computer hangs when rebooting or shutting down. Then it boots up right back where it was.

HELP!!!!!
Old January 31st, 2005, 04:42 PM

O/S: Windows 8
hey there

did i miss it or did you list your old video card?

on an old win98 computer of mine i had the 32 mb voodoo 3d card and replaced it with an nvidia product, think it was a 64mb one. it turns out when removing a voodoo card and installing a nvidia card the ENTIRE SYSTEM needs to be reformatted as the voodoo drivers continued to leap out of the registry and cause system failure. for some reason at the time all the posts i found on the subject made it seem as if this was normal. go figure...
goodluck.
Old February 1st, 2005, 12:44 AM

Hi Jamie.

Haven't had a VooDoo card in this computer. The previous one was a Diamond Stealth PCI card.

Strange but I've had VooDoo cards before when I had a PIII computer. Never had any problems with changing them out for something else.
Old February 1st, 2005, 05:26 PM

O/S: Windows 8
did some quick google group searches. The diamond seems to be a very old card, posts from 95/96. And between the two, I'd seen no forums with problems between the two.

Assuming your installation is proper and the computer is the same when you're talking about 98 and 2000,(as old motherboards can sometimes be a problem), and that the card works great on a 2000 OS and you're having problems with 98... you might have found something incompatible

I ran a 128mb nvidia 5200 on a compaq 98 and it struggled pretty hard, good graphics, but...

I think I've found there's a very small school of knowledge out there when it comes to putting new products and old ones together. With so many products the experience is different from user to user.

Personally, if there's no other place for that card than the 98, then I would politely write the company and challenge their compatibility claims. I once had some 512mb sdRAM cards and one of them was bunk. After a wild chase with a local store we realized that it bench tested fine but would cause any machine to randomly crash and reboot. It took two letters but they took it back, and once returned eventually sent me a check.

or I'd save it for a newer OS...

But I'd still be pounding Leadtek's support lines and email for help.
Sorry I can't help
Old February 1st, 2005, 06:14 PM

Yes, the Diamond is an old card. My motherboard AND video card died on me recently (I had another Leadtek card in it.) and when I had the motherboard replaced, I just had them put in a cheapie video card until I could get a better one.

Thing is, the hard drive was not reformatted at that time and I didn't do a clean install of windows. I'm thinking that there may be conflicts from all the remnants left over from the old motherboard.

I probably need to reformat and reinstall both operating systems cleanly.
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:15 PM

Beginning to think it's an IRQ conflict. (W98 is famous for those. Had them before.) Even though no conflicts are shown in device manager, vid card, USB and NIC are all using IRQ 10. Have changed bios settings and even disabled USB in device manager with no luck.

Since I lost my W2000 installation cd when I moved, I just got another one from EBay.

Will be doing a format and clean install of both OS's when I get the time unless I find a solution to my problem.