Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows ME

Notices

Windows ME Problem solving for the Windows ME Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 24th, 2003, 06:34 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Booting Into Window ME After Booting With Startup Disc

As I recall, in Windows 95 you could boot to the floppy (a:\) using a boot disc, change the directory to c:\ and to Windows, and then enter Windows 95 by using the command WIN. Can this be done in Windows ME. If so, exactly how. If not, why not?

Same questions about Windows 98.
Old June 24th, 2003, 07:08 PM

O/S: MacOS
You can boot to Windows 98 from DOS by simply typing "exit" at the prompt. I've never used ME extensively b/c it is the worst OS ever produced, but I suppose in theory, it should be the same deal for ME as 98. Give it a go and let us know
Old June 24th, 2003, 08:35 PM

Thanks. Don't have a Windows ME machine handy but under Windows 98 and under my scenario, when a:\>exit is entered the only result is the reappearance of the command line prompt, a:\>
Old June 24th, 2003, 08:47 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi Jim,
I don't recall if, in WIN95, you could enter WIN95 in the manner that you described.......in fact, I don't think I ever tried it, and I don't currently have that operating system installed.

Not certain about ME (I'll check that out in a bit, as you've got my curiosity going about this), but in WIN98 it is possible to get to the Desktop in the manner that you described....with limitations. First, you'd have to add the ifshlp.sys file to the startup floppy disk (this file can be found in the C:\Windows folder) and then reference it in the [COMMON] section of the config.sys file on the startup floppy disk, by adding this entry:
devicehigh=ifshlp.sys
Save the changes and exit the config.sys file.

The limitations are that you will not be able to load the virtual device drivers that Windows so greatly depends upon. If you booted from the edited startup floppy disk, it would load the Standard VGA drivers for your display (after detecting new hardware and probably giving an error about the display adapter being unsupported). Other hardware that depends on virtual device drivers would also be inoperable (except for the CDROM if you chose to start WITH CDROM SUPPORT).
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:21 PM

Smile

Hi GretaP,

Your scheme worked, I did eventually get to the Desktop after changing the directory to c:\ and then entering windows\win

It went as you predicted.

I'll try ME on Thursday and hope to resetup my 486 with w/95 and see what happens with windows\win but I first must come up with boot disc that includes a hard drive overlay program and whatever.

Jim
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

I just tried it with WINME (using WINME startup disk and the ifshlp.sys file that was in WINME), and after it went thru its detecting/installing new hardware thingie, it forced a restart, so I never was able to reach the Desktop.

Let me know your results with WIN95. If you know the manufacturer of the hard disk in that rig, see if their drive setup software (should be available for d/load from their website) includes a drive overlay program.
Old June 25th, 2003, 07:15 PM

Got a similar result with Windows 95 as I had had with Windows 98. Had to include both DEVICEHIGH=IFSHLP.SYS and DEVICEHIGH=HIMEM.SYS in CONFIG.SYS

I am puzzled as to why my memory is so bad on this topic.
Old June 25th, 2003, 08:06 PM

You can boot into windows from clean DOS 8 in Win ME only if ISHELP is on the Windows ME Startup boot floppy disc. Type win at the prompt and it'll work. But since Win ME does not parse the config.sys file, all parameters are in the system registry, and some attempts at booting into windows from clean DOS show mixed results. The BEST way is to do a ctrl + alt + del, remove the floppy, and boot normally.
Old June 26th, 2003, 10:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Chanter - nice to see you here. Welcome to CTH
Old June 26th, 2003, 07:52 PM

Greta, Tried ME and got the same result as you did. I couldn't avoid a restart. I included IFSHLP.sys on the boot disc and in config.sys
Old June 27th, 2003, 05:29 AM
CTH Subscriber

It was definitely an interesting experiment, Jim