Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:30 PM

O/S: MacOS
PC turns off after a few mins...

Hi there, i am having a problem with one of my pcs. When turned on it boots normally and starts to run scandisk. If i cancel scandisk it will load the desktop normally and will run fine for about 2 mins before the screen turns off as if the pc has just turned off. The power light stays on for a few more seconds then turns off. The fans stay running for a bit then the hard drive light flashes a few times. The power light then sort of flashes a few times and so do the lights on the keyboard(like they do when the pc first starts up) the screen does nothing. i first thought there was something on the desktop causing it to do this so i attempted to start it in safe mode. It did the same thing. If scandisk is not bypassed and left to run it will still turn off after a few mins. My computer knowledge isnt great but not too bad. I have no idea whats wrong. I have tried checking for loose components and have cleaned it out. i figure one of the components must be fawlty but why does it start seemingly fine then fail?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jack

P.S: Specs are:
Windows ME
AMD Duron processor 950mhz
128mb RAM
40gb hard drive

Background:
It used to be the family computer and worked fine(but slow), we finally upgraded and this one sat idle for a little while, only being turned on occasionally. A few months ago this started to happen but i didnt have time to sort it so its been sitting for a while. I tried again today and same thing happens.
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Banned

could be heat in which case take side off case and blow small fan in and see if behavior continues....and it could be weak psu also.

Last edited by Rich M; March 18th, 2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM

I tried taking off the side and blowing the fan but the problem persists. Is there any way i could test the psu to see if its working properly?
Cheers,
Jack
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Banned

There are testers you can buy at most computer stores. Download and install speedfan and let's be sure it is not temps.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the advice. I cant download speedfan though because the pc shuts down after a few mins so i wouldnt have enough time.
Jack