Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Parent window closes when child is opened

Never seen this one before. Anytime a second window is opened, either by clicking on a link, or by trying to open a new window, the main window closes. I've looked at all the settings and cant see anything wrong. Any suggestions??

XP Pro
IE 6.0
Norton Antivirus
Spybot
Ad-Aware (All are up date)

Thanks.
B
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The Yahoo toolbar has been known to cause the problem. If you have the Yahoo toolbar installed, disable it (if that's possible) or uninstall it and see if that fixes the problem.

Popup stoppers can also be the culprit. Press either the Ctrl or Shift key (depending on which popup stopper) when clicking on a link, which bypasses the popup stopper, to see if that's the problem.

Finally, in IE>Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, make sure "Reuse window for launching shortcuts" is not checked.
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Thumbs up Thanks Miz

I ended up using XP's restore feature. I took the settings back a couple of days. It fixed the problem. I did remove the Yahoo Toolbar. I didn't even say I had it installed. I have become perterbed with Yahoo as of late. This is just another reason.

Thanks,
B