Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 7th, 2004, 03:29 PM

Slow/Intermittent internet

I dont know if I should post this in the hardware forum or not but here it is anyway. I set up a new system and I have it connected to my router and that's connected to the modem and you know the story. That works fine, however, this computer's internet is super slow or it just stops and doesn't work. I use comcast high speed internet and i've downloaded at 600kb/s before. My new machine runs on an nForce 3 Ultra chipset (AKA built in hardware firewall). I think that is what is slowing it down. I have minimal options when in the Network Connections window, and nothing that indicates speed (or stability). I have the drivers installed, too.

Anyone else having similar problems, or know how to fix this? Am I wrong about the nForce 3's overprotective firewall?

Things to note:
-I do not have SP2 installed as of now
-Missing several unimportant drivers
-I can use the internet but it's slow and cuts off during downloads
-I am somehow able to use windows update
Old December 7th, 2004, 04:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Does Windows Update take an extraordinarily long time as well, or is it just when using a browser?
Old December 7th, 2004, 11:02 PM

yeah, it does. I think it's because I dont have SP2 on that machine, and because I can't do update, I'd have to order a CD (AKA wait 4-6 weeks). I'm getting that network install package and just running it on 1 computer. I'll burn it on a CD with this one.
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:47 PM

Ok I have SP2 and all of the drivers except the firewall portion for the nForce 3 working. My router is ACTIVELY denying my connection to it. I try to ping it and it says "refused" (or a synonym of that). Other computers behind the router are working. This problem has happened before with my old computer and it was fixed by restarting the router several times, but now it isn't working at all, regardless of how many times I restart it.

I turned off the XP Firewall (SP2) and there is no security except for the router. It is set to auto-detect settings and that usually works (or it does on every other computer).
Old December 9th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
See if the information on this page is any help.

The fix linked to on that page is SP2 specific but if SP2 isn't contributing to the problem, at least the information may point you in the right direction.