Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 28th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Upgrade from Me OEM to XP home upgrade

I need help on this one. I know I will be asking for trouble, but I don't have any other options. My cousin has an older Compaq pc with Win Me on it & a lot of junk, it takes 20-30 minutes to finish loading. Her OEM reinstall disk is major damaged. She bought Xp home upgrade after I told her not to. I have borrowed a copy of Win 98 SE upgrade to use for the install. I will use a win98 boot floppy to format & partion the drive. I want to wipe the HD & do a fresh install of XP home so that her pc will work better & faster.
Is this feasible? Any tips, help, etc will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Goodolerebel
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
it will work, be sure to create a boot disk in case there is a problem. Never know if there will be a problem, most don't but every install is a different story. Be sure to allot several hours and make sure you save any files you cannot afford to lose for there will always be that one file you regret losing.
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:38 AM

Hi goodolerebel

Some Compaq and HP puters have proprietary drivers and etc that are necessary to have to operate properly, also there could be a hidden petition containing necessary info for proper M.B. operation.

I discovered this when I tried to install 98SE on a win ME Compaq, installed fine just no internet or sound. Put ME back on using the Compaq restore disks and then the modem and sound worked, (the modum and sound used proprietary drivers that 98SE did not have). Since you will not be able to "restore" Go to the Compaq web page and try to download the proprietary drivers (if any) so that they can be added if necessary, also determine if the unit has a hidden partition, if so do not format the disk without consulting Compaq tech services.

Last edited by b1kra; November 29th, 2004 at 06:48 PM.