Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old June 27th, 2020, 05:50 AM

Recycle bin hi-jacked by CCleaner

When I shut down my Win7 machine the other night, it did its monthly update. When I started it up the next morning, it opened Microsoft Edge. (I didn't know Edge even ran on Win7). Since I didn't want it opening automatically, I used CCleaner to disable it. CCleaner wanted to do an update, so I did it. After I did that, when I click on my recycle bin, it brings up CCleaner. I guess I don't know for sure whether it was the windows update or CCleaner that caused it. I tried uninstalling CCleaner and the recycle bin worked like it should. After I re-installed it, it opens when I check my recycle bin still.
Old June 27th, 2020, 04:17 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Howdy NONEK,

The last time I installed CCleaner, and it's been a while, there was an install options where are you can uncheck the recycle bin.
Old June 28th, 2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
The last time I installed CCleaner, and it's been a while, there was an install options where are you can uncheck the recycle bin.
Right. Whenever you install ANY program, you should ALWAYS look for and select the "custom install" option (or similarly named option). This is particularly true of free programs - and not just CCleaner. Any and every program, and every time - even with program updates. Then carefully follow the prompts to make sure the program is being install where you want it and only with the options and settings you want.

If you just click away with the default settings, the program will be installed where the developers want it, and with the settings they think most people want, and often with extras their marketing weenies want you to have - like extra toolbars, search engines, auto-updaters, or even security software they have partnered with.

These tactics may seem to be evil and devious, and sadly, with some malicious programs they actually are. But Piriform/Avast is a reputable company so nothing devious or malicious is going on here. They sincerely believe the default install option installs and sets the options most of their users want. And that may be true.

As far as extras, these companies still need to pay their bills and their development staff need to feed and shelter their families. So it is common for extra revenue methods to be used. One method is to add extras during installs. Another common method is to include ads in the program.

Personally, I prefer CCleaner's method where I can opt out of extras during install instead of having to put up with ads and sales pitches when I am using the program.

Anyway, one option presented during CCleaner's install is Recycle Bin integration - there are actually two options, one to Run CCleaner and another to Open CCleaner. I don't know the difference because I always uncheck them! Actually, I uncheck them all except "Enable Intelligent Cookie Scan".

So if you select the Custom Install option next time (called "Customize" in CCleaner) you can uncheck those options and be good to go.

That said, I am "guessing" with CCleaner's next update, you can uncheck them then and be good to go. But since you installed it already with those options checked, you may have to uninstall CCleaner, then install it again, making sure this time you use the Customize install option.

This all may sound like a pain, but IMO, CCleaner is still worth it. For sure, it is one of my favorite utility programs. I use it frequently (and have for over 10 years) on all my systems here and have never had any issues.
Old June 28th, 2020, 11:13 PM

Thank you for your time explaining this to me. I have been using CCleaner for a long time and never had this problem with it after updating. I did as you said, and besides having to go through all my cookies to keep (a major chore), things are back to normal again.
Old June 29th, 2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
and besides having to go through all my cookies to keep (a major chore)
I agree. Rebuilding this list is a major chore. But in my opinion, that "Cookies to Keep" feature is, by far, the number 1 reason CCleaner is one of the best utility programs out there, and by far, the best disk clean up tool. Period. Drop the mic.

It is not the most aggressive cleaner but again, IMO, that is another thing that makes CCleaner better.

The only other cleaner I recommend and might use on any of my own systems is Windows' built in cleaner, Disk Cleanup. But of course, it deletes all cookies so the Cookies to Keep database once again, has to be rebuilt - or at least refreshed by logging in to those sites with full credentials again.

I don't know why you had this issue this time and never before. I can only guess the prompt to uncheck that option must have slipped by you some how.

Anyway, I am glad you got it sorted out now. Thanks for posting your followup.