Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:00 AM

Thumbs up Windows 8 64 bit

I hope this is allowed I thought I would pass on some information on windows 8 64 bit
After installing I proceeded to down load and install my video card drivers as I was running windows 7 32 bit.
During the installation of windows it asked if I wanted it to upgrade my drivers and answered yes.
After downloaded my new drivers for my video card I installed them and when I restarted all I got was a screen that flashed black and than black with a white background . After doing some investigating I found out the system was getting confused as to which driver to use, the one I installed or the one it was trying to update.I had to use the refresh option to restore my system. The solution was to unplug my Ethernet cable and then I was able to install my video card drivers.
I hope this info helps out someone else
but if this does not belong here feel free to either move it or remove it.
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:04 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Good tip:

Always uninstall previous Video drivers before installing new ones. Rather than using update, otherwise you can have the problem you had.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Good tip:

Always uninstall previous Video drivers before installing new ones. Rather than using update, otherwise you can have the problem you had.
I had uninstalled the old driver. I rebooted after the uninstall and then installed the new driver and rebooted again.The problem was the system was trying to install a default driver at the same time I was trying to install my driver, and it got confused.
If I had answered no to the question during the installation of W8 I would not have had this problem but since I did by unplugging my Ethernet it could not download any drivers.