Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:43 AM

Vista Blue Screen

When I turn on my Gateway computer it goes to the Blue Screen of Death don`t know what to do. Can someone help please.

Morris
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:07 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi morris. Try booting into safe mode (restart your computer and tap F8 continuously as it restarts). We can troubleshoot from there if safe mode loads.
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:15 PM

Hello AnnMarie

Sorry for not getting back to you quicker. I started the computer in safe mode and was able to open .Windows Media Center And ITunes. I don`t know if this helps

Morris
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

That's good. Windows obviously loads in Safe Mode.

Go to Start Search and type wercon.exe. You will see the file appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as administrator" and Problem Reports and Solutions will open. Click on View Problem History.

Can you please copy what you see for the dates when the problem occurred (I'm afraid you will have to do this manually but no need to duplicate identical entries) and post it here.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:42 PM

Hi AnnMarie

Followed your post and got the following:

Driver Software Installation installed generic driver software 7-18-2011

Google Chrome stopped working 3-3-2012

Host Process for Windows services Windows update installation problem

Internet Explorer Web Page display problem 7-19-2011

PSI Service stop working 7-19-2011

Windows shut down unexpectedly 3-5-2012

Hope this helps Morris
Old March 7th, 2012, 02:04 AM
CTH Subscriber

Not really Morris. It just shows that Windows shut down unexpectedly on 5th March but no clue as to why and I doubt that Event Viewer will show much more information but we can have a look.

Go to Start Search and type:

eventvwr.msc

eventvwr.msc will appear at the top of the Menu. Doubleclick on it and click on Custom Views > Administrative Events. Look for this error -> Windows shut down unexpectedly on 3-5-2012. Post back the Event Source, the Event ID and any other relevant information. To do this, doubleclick on the Event, click on the General tab and click on "Copy" and paste the information into a new document (if more than one error) and then post it here.

Also try cleanbooting and see if you still get a BDOD (see here, Step 1: Perform a clean boot). Dont troubleshoot it yet and make sure you dont download anything or surf to dodgy sites while you are running in this state because your antivirus will be disabled. Does Windows load normally?

If not, can you write down what the BSOD says please and post it here.
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM

I followed your last post I could not find Windows shut down unexpectedly error 3-5-2012. I then followed the instructions for a clean boot , restarted with no Blue Screen.
Old March 10th, 2012, 07:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, that suggests one of your third party startups is causing the problem. Try the troubleshooting steps now to find out which one it is. It is a bit tedious but quite effective in isolating the troublesome software. Once you find which program is responsible, uninstall it and reboot. You will need to contact their support if reinstalling the software doesnt resolve the issue.
Old March 16th, 2012, 08:00 PM

Hi AnneMarie
Finished the steps in your post found the problem and uninstalled it. thanks for all the help. Morris
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:17 PM
CTH Subscriber

You are welcome Morris. What software was causing the problem?