Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM

Issues installing Windows 7 and Vista Ultimate x86

So here's the deal. I don't have the info on the MB other than it supports both DDR and DDR 2 (two slots each alternating for whatever reason) and AGP and PCI express (very unusual setup) and the CPU is a Pentium D 2.8Ghz, but essentially this MB was running SATA II, 2 ports. One of those ports (0 I believe), the connector broke off and left the pins exposed. Attempted to reconnect with the pins properly, but they were too fragile and broken and one pin broke off. Said "forget it" and switches to port 1. Also have a second HD and bought a SATA controller to give me an extra SATA I port for my 1TB HD.

Now, attempted to install Windows Vista (ultimate) and 7 (ultimate, both x86 versions), both cut out after extracting files saying disc may be corrupt. tried a variety of things (deleting old partitions, creating new ones, formatting, etc.) and also tried switching HD's as well as installing from controller card instead of onboard port, happens the same all the time for both discs. Attempted XP and full format, after rebooting for install just stalls after POST. Happened to have a GHOST image though, so ran that and loaded XP on the system. Has some weird issues after installing video drivers (ATI) with the system stalling, but ATI's drivers would kick start it back up (would at times happen constantly though). Also partition is formatted FAT32 this way. Attempting to convert to NTFS leaves the same result as install of XP, causing system to stall after POST. Also tried using the SP installer to completely format the HD, then after it fails to load the full install program switch out to Windows 7 and same results still happen. I'm at my witts end and unsure where to go from here. Any thoughts?
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Hi firestorm117 welcome to Cyber Tech Help.

Your motherboard has to be identified. There is identification on the board itself so you may have to remove it to read it properly.

It seems the Windows installer may be running into a problem with the motherboard itself, maybe a
bad ATA controller (the controller chip for the drives).

If we identify the motherboard we can attempt some searches for manufacturer driver updates and BIOS updates.