Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:58 PM

o.O?

What exactly is Windows 7? Didn't Microsoft just come out with an OS like a year ago? :-p

What improvements does this have?
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Thumbs up

Hi SpyPirates,

Whereas Vista was the most compelling reason to try a Mac, Windows 7 is the most compelling to stick with Windows.

I have been using the Release Candidate of 7 for quite a while and am totally impressed, along with millions of other users. It is not as resource hungry as Vista is, it has superb compatibility and a host of other features that you can access from here, here or a multitude of other places.

Cheers.
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohray View Post
Hi SpyPirates,

Whereas Vista was the most compelling reason to try a Mac, Windows 7 is the most compelling to stick with Windows.

Ownage.

That kinda sucks though... I've got Vista and there's no way I can afford a new OS... hmm :-p
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:31 PM

O/S: Windows 11
You're not by any chance a college student are you?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:26 AM

AW MAN YOU GOT ME

yes i am :-(
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hey SpyPirates,

Super low price for US students from here.

Nice call usaf gunner!

EDIT: UK students here.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:40 PM

hmm and I'm guessing the reasoning for offering it ~4x cheaper for college students Microsoft wants to win back academia from Mac, and perhaps avoid a long-term disaster of the young population staying with Mac as they become professionals?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:43 PM

But anyway, does anyone know some specifics as to why this is better?

I've become acclimated to Vista and have several programs that are very convenient for me that probably won't work for a new OS... It also seems that there are just a lot of compatibility problems with getting a new OS, no matter how great it is, and by getting Vista and dealing with its issues and then getting Windows 7 early and having to deal with its issues is having the worst of both worlds?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hello again,

An idea would be to try the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. That may provide you with any compatibility issues.

Perhaps I am lucky in that all the programmes that I regularly use, have migrated well from Vista to 7? I cannot provide specifics as to why it is better apart from my own experiences of faster boot times (even pre-SSD) and better all round stability. No doubt you can find technical instances of specific improvement and those who would argue otherwise. It depends on how much authority you give to a particular source.

There have been thousands of beta testers, whether they be developers or plain old end users, who have submitted reports for its (Win 7) overall improvement. It could be argued that these are the very same people who dealt with the issues affecting first of all Vista and then Win 7. Would they consider it as "[...]having the worst of both worlds?[...]" Probably not, as they embrace change and are prepared to attempt to make transitions as smooth as possible for others.

I wouldn't like to comment here on your earlier post regarding the reduced cost for students but it did make me smile.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:20 AM

To be honest, I have 7 on this computer but rarely boot into it. It looks nice and seems to run fine and has some nice features but I am not ready to just dump vista because a new OS is out. I will probably wait for a year or so but if I could get a retail copy for 30 bucks I would do it even if I didn't plan on an immediate upgrade. I think the offer expires in January so give up a few trips to starbucks between now and then and get a legit copy of 7 for cheap
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyPirates View Post
But anyway, does anyone know some specifics as to why this is better?

I've become acclimated to Vista and have several programs that are very convenient for me that probably won't work for a new OS... It also seems that there are just a lot of compatibility problems with getting a new OS, no matter how great it is, and by getting Vista and dealing with its issues and then getting Windows 7 early and having to deal with its issues is having the worst of both worlds?
this article might put your mind at ease, it seems they will incorporate a virtual winxp sp3 in win7 so if something doesnt play nice with 7 you can run it with xp on the same OS

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/1...ing-october-22