Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old February 18th, 2021, 08:03 AM

Automatically un-authorized activity on my laptop and Mobile Phones

Summary:
I have observed that:
1.Suddenly my Laptop started asking for BIOS system password and HDD password which I never set
2.Some unknown email accounts are getting added to my laptop as administrator account
3.Sometimes, While working on my Wifi network, my laptop suddenly tries connecting to neighbors wifi network even though my wifi signal strength is good.
4.Even after reformatting and re-installing Win10, and even without connecting to any wifi or LAN, i see that some windows settings dialogs open on its own and tries to connect to wifi automatically.
5.My mobile smartphones automatically get unlocked and automatically try to access some settings, even after disconnecting from wifi and removing SIM card
6.I even bought nokia basic phone (non-smart phone), that also automatically gets unlocked and automatically trying to access some settings, even without any SIM card

Details:
From the last few weeks I have observed some unauthorized activity going on in my Laptop and mobile phone. I tried running a few anti-virus tools but none of the tools have reported any threat. Any help and suggestion to fix these issues will be really grateful.

Note: I have Dell Inspiron 15 series Laptop and I have Win10 Home on my laptop.

Sequence of events:
Suddenly a few weeks back (somewhere around the first week of January, 2021 when I started noticing), my laptop got hanged. When I restarted to recover from the hang, it started asking for a BIOS System password which I had never set before. Somehow after trying a few passwords, fortunately my Laptop user name took it as BIOS system password. Upon entering the BIOS system password, it prompted for the HDD password which I never set earlier. Somehow I entered the same my laptop user account name as password and it took that. Now with every boot it asks for BIOS system password and HDD password, which I never set.
Since I was able to proceed by entering a password, I did not bother much initially. However, after few days, i started noticing some unauthorized activity on my Laptop:
I see that some unknown email accounts get added as administrator accounts under Start->Settings->Accounts->Your Info.
Also, the same unknown email account is added under Start->Settings->Accounts->Email and app accounts
I noticed that the same unknown account was added to one drive.
I removed these accounts from all places mentioned above. However, after a few hours of using the laptop, again I see that the same unknown account gets added as administrator account.
I also noticed that while i am working on my wifi network, suddenly my laptop will try to connect to some neighbour wireless network and disconnect my wifi network.
Even after reformatting and reinstalling Win10, and even without connecting to any wifi or LAN, i see that some windows settings dialogs open automatically and try to connect to wifi automatically.

I suspected that some malware got into my system. So i tried below things to recover but none of these steps has helped me:

1. Ran Windows defender quick scan - Nothing found
2. Ran Kaspersky total security scan - No thread found
3. McAfee scan - No thread found
4. Reset Laptop to factory defaults. After resetting, again started showing the same symptoms as described above.
5. Downloaded Recovery image on a separate USB from Dell site for my Laptop serial number and tried re-installing the image from USB. After re-installing the images, again started showing the same symptoms as described above.
6. Tried downloading Win10 Home from Microsoft website on a separate USB and then installed it on my laptop. While installing I formatted and deleted all partitions. After installing Win10, it again started showing the same symptoms as described above.

In addition to the laptop, I am noticing that even my mobile phone automatically gets unlocked and some settings are getting accessed. I even disconnected my mobile from wi-fi and switched off mobile data, even then i can see that mobile automatically gets unlocked and some settings and pages are being tried to be accessed.
I even removed the SIM card from my smartphone, even then I can see that if I keep my mobile phone it is automatically getting unlocked and accessed.

Later, i thought i will buy a basic Nokia 105 NON-smartphone. I even bought a basic Nokia NON-smart phone which i think does not have any internet and Camera capabilities. With this basic phone also, when I keep it, i can see that it automatically gets unlocked and tries to access some settings.

I am now totally clueless what is going on. Any help/suggestions would be really helpful.