Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 18th, 2003, 03:23 PM

Windows Tweaks by Mishy??

Hi, I read this article on CyberTech by Mishy that suggests how to tweak a few things, however I cant find tha commands suggested.
I tried using the 'run' function or by searching with 'regedit'.
I also tried these in a Dos command window as well?

This is my first attempt so pardon my ignorance at something that is probably fairly simple

Here is the article:
MSDOS.SYS tweaks

LoadTop=0 Loads command.com at the top of your conventional memory

BootMulti=0 Stops windows from being able to look to see if you're multibooting. Can shave a second or 2 from your boot time.

Logo=0 Turns the Windows logo off at boot - can save a second off boot time.

BootDelay=0 The 0 is the amount of seconds windows waits before booting. 0 obviously cuts it down. (only needed in Win95)

BootGUI=1 Loads Windows 9.x automatically.

System.ini tweaks

Under the [386Enh] section....

LocalLoadHigh=1 Allows the maximum conventional (low) DOS memory (RAM) in a DOS session/box

MinSPs=4 Can prevent stack fault errors by increasing the number of stacks. (Win9.x only)
Old August 18th, 2003, 08:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
msdos.sys is a hidden and read only file so in order to edit you will have to change it attibutes. In explorer go to view,folder options, view and check show all files. Next in your root directory find msdos.sys and right click on it. Choose properties and uncheck hidden and read only.
Go back to the root directory and open msdos.sys and make the disired changes. save it and rest the attributes to hidden and read only. Next go to view, folder options and check do not show hidden or system files.
If your not familiar with this proceedure or msdos.sys it might be better to leave it alone.

For sys.ini go to start, run and and type in sysedit hit okay and choose system.ini make the changes you want and save it.
If I left out anything please jump in.
Brett
Old August 19th, 2003, 12:19 PM

Hi Brett, Thanks for your help. Ok Im really green at this , it took me 15 mins to figure out how to find the files, mostly because I didnt know what a 'root directory' was : )
But Im not going to learn if I dont get my hands dirty.

When I got into the files in msdos.sys these lines were not present to edit. I take it then that I have to add these lines as written?
If so, do they have to be in any particular order , alphabetically for example?

LoadTop=0 Loads command.com at the top of your conventional memory

Logo=0 Turns the Windows logo off at boot - can save a second off boot time.

With the Logo=0 one, I have Tweak UI installed and one of the functions is to remove the windows splash screen, so that may explain it not being there.

Same with these System.ini tweaks

Under the [386Enh] section....

LocalLoadHigh=1 Allows the maximum conventional (low) DOS memory (RAM) in a DOS session/box

MinSPs=4 Can prevent stack fault errors by increasing the number of stacks. (Win9.x only)

Once again, do I have to add these?
Old August 19th, 2003, 01:46 PM

Loadtop=0 add this as the last line under options
adding logo=0 won't do a thing IMO instead of the slpash screen you'll get a black screen in it's place.

Unless your getting stack fault errors why bother editing system.ini
I would leave msdos.sys alone. Mark it read only and hidden and then hide all files.

My system boots in 52 seconds
98se
384 ram
seagate 7200 40 gig
athlon 1gig
msconfig is clean four items checked
What is your boot time?
Go to msconfig (start.run type in msconfig , okay) choose selective startup and if checked uncheck process autoexe.bat and config.sys . Now click on the start up tab and uncheck everything except scanregistry, systemtray your firewall and anti virus. Apply okay and reboot.
any programs you have loading at start up that arn't necessary disable them.
C+A+D I only have explorer and system tray running.
Go here http://members.tripod.com/ramblingso...tutorials.html and click on Tutorials do all the items under Windows 9x & Millennium Edition that apply to your operating system. Read everything on this site.
Then go here http://9337387.home.icq.com/index.html and scroll down to Clean Up And Speed Up Your Computer , do what Frank suggest. Read all the other info on his page.
After all is done go into safe mode and do a disk clean up, standard scandisk and then defrag.
When all is done you should notice a little faster boot time and a much faster computer.

Last edited by brindle26; August 19th, 2003 at 01:48 PM.
Old August 19th, 2003, 04:59 PM

Hi, Thanks for the tips

Actually I do get stack dumps sometimes from certain games so I will try the registry ones as well. I take it I just add the line as written in the tutorial.
Do they have to be in a specific order (alphabetical or something)?

The reason for doing this is to gain a better understanding of windows registry and a better performing PC

Darren
Old August 19th, 2003, 05:10 PM

no just add it as I said
My MinSPs=16 but what ever you set it to use multiples of 4
Old August 19th, 2003, 05:14 PM

I don't understand what it is you are trying to do in the registry. If you follow my suggestion above you will have a better running computer.
Good luck and please let us know how it worked out for you.
Old August 19th, 2003, 11:43 PM

Hi, Thanks again.

Basically Im just trying to learn how to use the registry to improve performance and remove some of the normal windows clutter.

I checked out the links, most of that stuff I already know from previous tweaking and tutorials but there was some interesting stuff re the modem tweaks

I have never been game enough to tamper with root files etc before .

My boot time is about 40 secs

p3 800, 384 sdram etc