Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:21 AM

since installing dual boot 98se goes slower

I have one HD split into two partitions with 98se and XP

Originally I had the 98se installation occupying one partition on the whole
drive.Then I used partition magic [and afterwards boot magic] to resize and create the two partitions followed by installing xp.

The Xp partition works as fast as it should do were it to occupy a single whole drive, however the 98se partition boots more slowly now
and subsequently windows explorer and 3rd party softwares open and run a little bit slower than they used to before the operation.

Its the same whether xp or 98se is selected as the default O/S in boot magic.

What can I do to speed things up on 98se again?
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
how big are the partitions? how much free space on each?
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Hi

20 gb partition for xp with 11.6 gb free

around 19gb partition for 98se with 9gb free
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:00 PM

O/S: Windows 98
Windows 98 will always respond slower than Windows XP providing the Computer is strong enough to power Windows XP.

Windows 98 has the edge over Windows XP when shutting down. Keep in mind, Windows XP uses a pre-fetch system which does play a factor over Windows 98 (That has none).

You may see similiar responses in terms of web page loading. But, in terms of software response, Windows XP is faster.

Ran the same test myself using Windows 2000 -vs- 98 on the same computer, using two identical separate hard drives.
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
did you have to reinstall 98 after the partition?
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Windows 98 will always respond slower than Windows XP providing the Computer is strong enough to power Windows XP.
Thanks Complex however 98se is running slower relative to itself since the partitioning,
Its a pentium3 with 512mb ram and 1ghz cpu.

Quote:
did you have to reinstall 98 after the partition?
I haven't tried reinstalling 98se since partitioning.

98se is on a licensed vendor restore disk rather than on a 98se disk. [a ghost image - complete with Office and drivers and other stuff like power dvd etc] that came with the pc when I bought it in 2002,
I've been told [correctly or incorrectly] that the restore disk won't recognise the two partitions and will wipe everything including xp, hence I used partition magic from the exisiting 98se set up I already have on the pc and then installed xp.

Last edited by Grumpyy; March 12th, 2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyy View Post
Thanks Complex however 98se is running slower relative to itself since the partitioning,
Its a pentium3 with 512mb ram and 1ghz cpu.
Hmm.......... I See.

That's good speed for Windows XP.

I have Windows XP running on half of that on one of my computers.
It's not funny!!

And here I am trying to help.

Quote:
I haven't tried reinstalling 98se since partitioning.

98se is on a licensed vendor restore disk rather than on a 98se disk. [a ghost image - complete with Office and drivers and other stuff like power dvd etc] that came with the pc when I bought it in 2002,
I've been told [correctly or incorrectly] that the restore disk won't recognise the two partitions and will wipe everything including xp, hence I used partition magic from the exisiting 98se set up I already have on the pc and then installed xp.
Whoever told you that is correct. An OEM Recovery CD will wipe any operating system previously installed clean. I've actually wiped drives clean using another computer and, format them to FAT. When I pop in the Recovery Disc (Or Disk ), It re-formats it to FAT 32, and make the necessary partitions.

That may be your problem right there. OEMs are pretty much designed to control the whole computer (Aka The Master) not share it with another operating system.

The OEM is married to your computer's motherboard.

You may be better off buying a Hard drive on Ebay and switching when necessary if speed is such an issue.

If it's a software issue why you want to use Windows 98, you can install XP over 98, and you will still have access to all your older software. I had to do that on one of my PCs seeing that Windows XP wouldn't allow my older program to work.

There's really no right or wrong way to do it. You just gotta play around with it (Like your Girl's ) until it gives you what you want.
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:47 AM

Thanks
Think what I will do is conduct any further experiments on an old but o'k spare HD of the same size which might have been a more sensible starting point for this anyways

For future reference; when you suggest installing xp over 98se is their any particular option I have to select for this during the xp installation process?

Last edited by Grumpyy; March 13th, 2007 at 02:58 AM.
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Just Pop in Windows XP's CD when Windows 98 is running. If Autorun is enabled, you should see Windows XP overide whatever you are doing, and give your three options. The first option is to install Windows.

Windows will then suggest "Upgrade" which you will agree. After that comes the End User License Agreement in which you will agree and, proceed to add your Product Key.

The process will take around 60 minutes to convert.
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Thanks Complex.
Old March 15th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Just make sure all your older programs are installed before you upgrade. I know it (Windows XP Pro) won't alter any programs when upgrading.

However, I don't know if it will accept older software once the upgrade is finalized.

You can always reverse back to Windows 98 if you feel home sick and you want to see Windows 98 again.
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:57 AM

So you can revert back to 98se from within the new xp installation without having to reinstall 98se from cd?
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Yes.

Providing you don't erase Windows 98 from Add/Remove Section. That's the perk about upgrading. Just install all the old software you like on Windows 98 and, install Windows XP over everything else as an Upgrade.

Just remember if you install anything after you installed Windows XP and, you downgrade back to Windows 98, you will lose those programs as well.