Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old July 14th, 2020, 04:08 PM

Zoom?

I'm sitting here with Zoom. It is ridiculously complicated, the videos suck, and life is too short for me to spend hours guessing how it may or may not work.

Also, there's no live support so no one to tell me if it is safe to use in terms of cookies, trackers, viruses, North Korean spies, or anything else. My conversations have to be confidential and so far there's no hint that is true or that I have the ability to prevent anyone from recording me (though recording conversations and eavesdropping are both illegal in this state).

I also can't tell if its software won't wreck my other software. There are options to auto insert data like meeting notices into Office Suite programs I never use, meaning I don't know if people will think I am on notice of meetings when really I am not. I once had an experience in which some notice to appear went from receipt of an email that was otherwise blank onto a very time-wasting to learn and use calendar program I'll never need (I use a paper diary), and people would have wondered what the **** happened to me, and it likely was malpractice, if I hadn't found out about it some other way by accident. Why the other side assumed I was using the hard way to get notifications I will never understand.

Personally I'm sick of overwrought apps and devices that don't improve my life one bit, just suck money out of my pocket so I get to pay for what was otherwise free, and then disappear like fax machines, email and PDA's.

Do I need zoom if I'm not a college student? Is there something easier and better like a plain old phone call?

Last edited by Total Noob; July 14th, 2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old July 14th, 2020, 04:20 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Don't use Zoom.
Build a fire and use smoke signals.
Old July 14th, 2020, 04:44 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Or a string and tin cans. Use 3 tin cans and have a conference call.
Old July 16th, 2020, 10:32 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Zoom is only used on all those tv shows, etc. because it's multiuser aware (conference calling). You can merely use Skype/Facetime for person to person video communication.